• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I like the addition, it makes the piece look more to scale. Where one area is a bit overdone or outstanding, that will draw attention there. As for color, stark differences never were appealing to me. A blend of white or ivory and medium shades of stain gives a softer appearance IMO.

I would have run the grain on the back vertically.
    Last edited by cabinetman; 07-08-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Fortunately LOML agrees with me that any stain color is better than any painted wood color! The previous owner of our house painted all the nice oak ALMOND (bleah). We tried to make a bad thing better by repainting it all white, but we've been slowly working on converting it back to woodgrain again (in fact, just put the stain coat on our new patio door and trim that replaced the painted old one right before typing this).

Natural wood is beautiful, blotchy or not. Painted wood is just "blah". Just my opinion, of course!

Comment

• drillman88
        • Dec 2007
        • Southeast
        • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

It looks much better with the top piece on. The piece looks much more balanced. I really like the design and I would be proud to say I made it .
        I am not sure that the stain and paint work for me. I think there is too much contrast, a more natural color stain or a little darker paint (maybe a khaki color) would work better together, but these are my own personal preferences . If your wife is happy with it that is all that really matters, keep her that way and all is well
        I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I figure if I sat still for any length of time LOML would PAINT me

What is it with women and paint?
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• toolsrrr@aol.com

Make her happy.

It looked kind of blotchy. It was a scrap project. If the "boss wants it painted... I guess you have to paint it.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Another vote for make her happy. If she wants it painted it gets painted. I know I care a lot less about the color of something than my wife does. That said, my opinion is I like it better painted. It matches the trim better than a stained piece would.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...