• Show
Clear All
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Restored outdoor bench

I bought this bench and a small table at a garage sale for $35. The materials look like some sort of oak to my untrained eye, but chances are there is more than one material. The bench posts are in some cases made up of 1"x1" or SMALLER material glued together and then cut to shape. A crazy number of pieces, like 15 or 16, make up the knobs at the top. You can kind of see it if you zoom in on the first picture on the upper right. Anyway, the bench was not well designed but it was in even worse shape. It was a dingy gray with lots of black through it where the open pores had absorbed every dirt known to man.

I took it all apart and sanded it all down from 60 grit to 220 grit. I glued together the left and right post assemblies, everything else was screwed together so it stayed apart. I used Sherwin Williams' Golden Oak stain and followed it with two coats of a clear poly from MinWax. For the metal pieces - the back, the leg/slat bar, and a thin support in the middle of the slats - I simply wiped them down with WD40 and let it take the years away, then washed off the oil.

I then assembled it in 90 degree weather with the sun in my eyes the whole time, dealing with all the crazy warping that had occurred once the screws were undone a few months back. When I finished, I did the only natural thing - sat down in it, cracked a beer, put my feet up on the rail in front of me, and promptly fell asleep

I did not get a picture of the little table that goes with it, but it is basically as tall as the seat is and has straight posts with similar flared knobs on the top. It also has a shelf along the bottom. Perfect for putting a few potted plants out.

The project took me many months, 5 or 6. My excuse is that I started right before temps dropped to 60 and below in my garage, and with pollen season upon us in March and April, I, uh, did not want to get pollen in the finish. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! In real hours, for both pieces, it probably took 20 or so for disassembly, some minor repair, the sanding, and glue up. Staining and finishing took another 20 hours of effort (LOTS of little pieces) and a few hundred of drying. Usually I would end up doing the finish on one side of a few pieces at four, flip them at 6 and get the other side, then it would be two or three days until I could get to it again.

I learned a lot, though. I can look at each piece and tell you what order they were done in simply by how they came out. I spent another $50 on stains, sanding pads, brushes, etc. Not bad for $85, and what I learned should save me even more in the future.
    Attached Files
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

That looks fantastic! Great job.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Awesome job. That was a great find and with a little bot of extra cash and some hard work you have a fine peice of outdoor furniture.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Looks to me like it was well worth the effort, wouldn't mind a find like that! Great job.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

That would be just as at home indoors. Great job on the finish.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Turned out teriffic. Nice job, good find.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Nice find and great job reviving it. Did you coat the metal parts to protect them?
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Thalermade
                • Dec 2002
                • Ohio
                • BT 3000

Really nice work. Really looks comfortable.

Russ

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by rnelson0
                  I
                  I took it all apart and sanded it all down from 60 grit to 220 grit. I glued together the left and right post assemblies, everything else was screwed together so it stayed apart. I used Sherwin Williams' Golden Oak stain and followed it with two coats of a clear poly from MinWax.

Is either the poly or the stain, outdoor based? (wondering what is a good replacement for the old marine varnish I never see)

Thanks
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• rnelson0
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I almost got to sit outside last night and watch the heat lightning roll through, but it burned out just as I got home
                    Did you coat the metal parts to protect them?
                    No, I just wiped them down and then cleaned up the WD40 residue. Considering how beat up the wood was but how easy the metal was to clean, I never even gave it a second thought...

Is either the poly or the stain, outdoor based? (wondering what is a good replacement for the old marine varnish I never see)
                    The MinWax poly says "Indoor/Outdoor" and the guys at Sherwin Williams recommended that. They said that since it is on a porch, that will work. If it were sitting out in a garden with direct sunlight and rain and weather 24/7, they recommended a pure outdoor stain and finish.

Right now the biggest problem is keeping the pollen off!

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Nice job, it looks brand new sitting on your porch.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Gooood lookin! Now, meet me at the Ukrop's on Midlothian and we'll do a swap the next time I'm in Richmond! Should look good on *my* porch and I'll swap you, a... errr... bluebird house!
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice restoraation of a nice bench design. I do believe that is flat sawn white oak which is a good outdoor wood. They make pier pilings.. ship timbers and whiskey barrels out of it so it doesn't rot and decay for the most part. As far as the finish.. I have found anything outside will have to be refinished every 2-3 years due to sun and rain. Rain on that wood won't be as much factor as sun IMO.

Bottom line.. it looks great.

Sarge..

Comment

• rnelson0
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2008
                            • Firestorm FS2500TS

Gooood lookin! Now, meet me at the Ukrop's on Midlothian and we'll do a swap the next time I'm in Richmond! Should look good on *my* porch and I'll swap you, a... errr... bluebird house!
                            Sounds like a plan! If I ever have time on my way to Pittsburgh to see my folks, I will let you know!

Comment

• cork58
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                              • BT3000

NICE! Very nice. Good job!
                              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

Working...