• Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Wow -- it's beautiful!!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Stunning work! I also love the secret compartments - I grew up with a somewhat nosy sister. The stretcher that runs across the sitting area from the cabinet to the stretcher between the legs - is that intended to be a foot rest?
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Great looking piece, and nicely done.

Originally posted by crokett
        The stretcher that runs across the sitting area from the cabinet to the stretcher between the legs - is that intended to be a foot rest?

If it wasn't it will likely be.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

My aplogies as I missed this. I try to comment on all finished products but my schedule out-runs my forum time. This is a very nice piece for your daugher. I love the contrast and simple design. Function it does and looks good on top of that.

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

Pretty........

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks everybody - y'all manage to give a nice glow to the effort put in !

Originally posted by crokett
              Stunning work! I also love the secret compartments - I grew up with a somewhat nosy sister. The stretcher that runs across the sitting area from the cabinet to the stretcher between the legs - is that intended to be a foot rest?
              Thanks! Yes, and it's a very carefully designed foot rest. I had noticed that she puts a lot of force on any foot rest, almost more than her own weight, all absent-mindedly! I got tired of telling her to take it easy, so I laminated an inch-thick/ 2-inch wide RO piece with another similar piece along its edge; except that the front piece is mitred 45 degrees; this gives a nice curved area to rest the foot, and also increases the strength of the foot-rest.

I notched it at the end to rest most of the piece on the left stretcher, and provided a short supporting stub-leg (not pictured) at the meeting-point of the foot-rest with the cabinet on the right. Mighty strong, and nicely restful for bare feet!
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

I think you got all of the complemnts you needed when you saw her kissing it. There is nothing better than that!

Congratulations! Great job!

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Radhak, that is a great piece! I love the design and the proportions are well done. I really like the hardware you chose, the finish is one of my favorites (looked like weathered nickel)
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...