• Show
Clear All
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Jewelry box

I made this jewelry box for a good friend. Plans came from Wood magazine. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, so I think I'll make a couple more for my daughter and daughter-in-law for Christmas. This box is made from curly maple and walnut, finished with 1 coat BLO and 4 coats laquer. I'll probably make one of the next two from the same material and the other from maple and cherry.
    Thanks for looking,
    Don
    Attached Files
    Don
  • SARGE..g-47

Beautiful and well done joinery. You did an excellent job on the drawers and the over-all piece is just outstanding from stem to stern.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Nicely done. I like the contrast between the curly maple and walnut. It adds a nice touch.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Gee, that's a sweet looking box! Nicely done!

JR
        JR

Comment

• jonathan55
          Established Member
          • Jun 2005
          • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
          • BT3100

Nice job! I am working on this box too and wondering what to do with the insides. Did you use flocking? Felt?

Jonathan

Comment

• DonHo
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Shawnee, OK, USA.
            • Craftsman 21829

"Did you use flocking? Felt?"

I used peel and stick felt from Rockler. A 12" X 24" piece was enought for all 3 trays and some left for pads on the bottom of the legs.

Don
            Don

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Beautiful work Don. Love the curly maple and walnut. Wonderful keepsake.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

WoW! Maple and Walnut just go naturally together.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

beaut!
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

yeah Pappy, I love pairing curly maple with walnut, that box is beautiful, well done! I'm sure that made for a happy friend!
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• jhart
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Beautiful Job.
                      Joe
                      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• DonHo
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                        • Craftsman 21829

Just a note for Sarge, I resawed the wood for this box using the "wood slicer" bandsaw blade (for my jet 12") you so kindly sent me a while back. I had bought the Itura blade at about the same time you sent me this blade and I had been using it. I guess it had gotten progressively more dull over time (duh). Anyway when it wasn't cutting very well I switched to the woodslicer and it went thru the maple like a knife thru hot butter. Thanks again, your gester is just another reason I like this place so much.

DonHo
                        Don

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by DonHo
                          Just a note for Sarge, I resawed the wood for this box using the "wood slicer" bandsaw blade (for my jet 12") you so kindly sent me a while back. I had bought the Itura blade at about the same time you sent me this blade and I had been using it. I guess it had gotten progressively more dull over time (duh). Anyway when it wasn't cutting very well I switched to the woodslicer and it went thru the maple like a knife thru hot butter. Thanks again, your gester is just another reason I like this place so much.

DonHo
                          You're quite welcome DonHo. I believe I sent you and Loring a free WS to try. I have since swithched to a Lennox bi-metal which does stay sharp about 6-7 times longer but.. it also is .035 wide and takes more wood out with the kerf leaving you a piece short when re-sawing 1/32" - 1/16". I took the last WS 3/4" I had to the IWF Show to use while demonstrating the Steel City 18" BS for them and left it with the machine which someone purchased so...

I might just run down to Highland WW this morning and pick up a new 3/4" WS to do exoctic wood like purple-heart.. zerbra.. etc. as they certainly aren't giving it away. Kinda like precious metal anymore. And hopefully I can make a box as nice as yours (that is somewhat suspect) if I have a WS. Then again that might have nothing to do with how well yours is made.

Keep on keeping on. BTW... how is the bladerunner from Iturra? I have not tired it and I do know it is cheaper than the WS... ??

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I made 4 of these and I used the same 2 woods, figured maple and plain walnut. I also finished the same, BLO plus lacquer. We both also put dividers in the drawers and top, I do not think the plans in Wood had them.

Two of the ones I made came from a highly figured board I got that cost more than I usually pay for maple. I resawed it on my table saw plus a handsaw when I had to. That left me with about a 1/8 inch thick piece which I glued to plain maple to make the two "extra" boxes. The two solid figured pieces went to my wife and daughter and the two extra ones went to the two grandmothers.

Jim

Comment

• Rand
                              Established Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Very pretty. Nice job.
                              Rand
                              "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

Working...