X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

The first piece of furniture ever

This is the first furniture type project I've ever done, I have done a few cabinets and lots of storage stuff and trim. Ive built a few houses from scratch, but this is the first time I've tried furniture type stuff. This was made from a bunch of scrap pine that was bought at a garage sale last summer. Getting the sleigh curves made and figuring out how to do the repeat mortises in all the slats took longer then doing it. this has taken me about 2.5 months pretty steady as I can only stand for about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes at a time due to MS. This site has been a real blessing to me in being able to keep from getting down when I can't do anything else.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I really like that, Art. Nice work!

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• GPA61
      • Sep 2004
      • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Excellent work. Looks great!!!
      Claudio

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

Congrats, that looks real good.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Very nice!

Having just finished a crib project myself I absolutely understand what you mean about figuring out where the mortises go ...

NICE WORK!
          "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas
          => Bade's Personal Web Log
          => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Art, that came out really nice!! Who will be the lucky recipient? Is there some insert work/carving on the side? What kind of stain/pretreat did you do? Nice work
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• master53yoda
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Spokane Washington

I did it for my 5th grandson, 1st for this son. The carving the LOML wanted to put on, it came from Michaels. I didn't discover that I didn't sand it well enough untill after the first coat of stain. It is Watco oil finish. I resanded much of it to 180 grit and then started over and restained, the final finish is wipe on poly. I think I will sand what ever I do next to 180 or 220 grit before I stain it, the difference after the finish is marked, between something sanded to 120 and what the parts where that I sanded to the 180.
              Art

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Nice work Art, you should be proud. Now you can plan your second piece.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Good stuff! Time to start planning your next project...

Comment

• shoottx
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2008
                    • Plano, Texas
                    • BT3000

Very Cool

Yup figuring out sanding and finishing is a real trick.

Build another project and try a different finish.
                    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• bigstick509
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Macomb, MI, USA.
                      • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

That is probably one of the best first furniture projects I have seen. I don't believe I have ever seen a crib made from pine. I am impressed at just how good it looks using pine. You did a nice job on those mortises as that is a lot of marking and cutting.

If you are new to finish I will make a suggestion you already hit on. You should always sand before finishing. I do all softwood to 220 but only go to 180 with hardwood. The 220 and beyond will help burnish the softwood pores to keep stain from penetrating deep which causes splothches. It is best to put down a seal coat of pre-stain or non wax shellac first. Then use the gel stain which won't have the tendency to penetrate like oil bases. It stays on the surface basically and is easier to keep an even tone over-all.

And on softwood... before you actually use your highest grit... I always wipe the wood with distilled water lightly to raise the grain.. Tiny grain hairs will rise up and the last coat of 220 grit will take them off.

Again.. excellent job there. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                          That is probably one of the best first furniture projects I have seen. I don't believe I have ever seen a crib made from pine. I am impressed at just how good it looks using pine. You did a nice job on those mortises as that is a lot of marking and cutting.
                          +1.

Art, you did a great job finishing that pine.

I'm so accustomed to cribs made with a lighter finish. While your crib looks great already, I think it is really going to shine once you get the bedding material in there.

Comment

• BerniePA
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • San Tan Valley, AZ
                            • Grizzly 0575

Art,

That is a very, very nice piece, especially for a first one!!!

Also I totally agree with what Sarge said about the finishing advice, good knowledge there.

Keep up the good work. That's the nice thing about woodworking, you can do it at YOUR pace!!!
                            Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• master53yoda
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2008
                              • Spokane Washington

You did a nice job on those mortises as that is a lot of marking and cutting.

I used a jig for the repeat mortises so that I didn't have to measure each one. The photo of the jig is attached.

If you are new to finish I will make a suggestion you already hit on. You should always sand before finishing. I do all softwood to 220 but only go to 180 with hardwood. The 220 and beyond will help burnish the softwood pores to keep stain from penetrating deep which causes splothches. It is best to put down a seal coat of pre-stain or non wax shellac first. Then use the gel stain which won't have the tendency to penetrate like oil bases. It stays on the surface basically and is easier to keep an even tone over-all.

And on softwood... before you actually use your highest grit... I always wipe the wood with distilled water lightly to raise the grain.. Tiny grain hairs will rise up and the last coat of 220 grit will take them off.

The splotchy problem is one that I have had on any softwood piece I have ever done. It was very bad on this until I resanded and then I still didn't get much of it.

I read through a bunch of the stuff in mags but you just gave me better information about sanding then all the mags thanks.
                              Last edited by master53yoda; 05-08-2009, 03:11 PM.
                              Art

Comment

Working...