• Show
Clear All
  • x00018
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006
    • Cranberry Twp, PA
    • Sears BT3000 Clone

Need help matching color

I have a kitchen cabinet door that is broken. I have all the tools to build a new one but I have no experience matching the stain color. Does anyone here know of a good book or article on the proper technique to do this?

Thanks
    Dave
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

When I needed to to this, I took a door into Home Depot, found a few colors that looked close (from looking at the sample boards they have hanging) - bought a small can of each, took it home and tested it out on some scraps from the same lumber batch I planned to use.

The main challenge is figuring out what they put on top of the stain (laquer, shellac, varnish, poly, etc.) and how much it has yellowed over the years.

Also, some woods (like Cherry) darken with age, and some finishes fade.

So, just my advice is just test, test, test until you find the right combo.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You might first think about getting a color wheel. It shows what mixes will produce different shades. From there it's going to be trial and error. I would pick up small cans of oilbased stains that are within the range of the mixture. With a sample of the same material as the new door, do your mixes until you get very close. Whatever topcoat you plan on using should be applied to the sample once it has dried with the stain, as the final color will be dependent on all of the finish.

There are several ways to color wood that you can experiment from dyes, both water based and alcohol, water based stains, and tinting products. I'm suggesting oil base for starters because you can get a variety of colors in small amounts, and they have a long working time compared to other types.

Depending on the specie of wood, sanding too smooth may inhibit a good color result. Generally speaking, sanding up to 180x would be sufficient to test.

In order to keep track of the mixing ratios and amounts of each ingredient, you can use a set of small cooking measuring spoons. Write down what is mixed with each color you are matching up. You should get a stainless set so they can be cleaned, and keep it in the shop so if you have a better half they won't be claimed.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

What C'man said, only I would use a calibrated syringe without the needle. Working in small amounts this is very accurate and can easily be scaled up. The syringe is all plastic and cleans up easily. Label you samples and take meticulous notes, don't rely on your memory.

If there is a manufacture's name on the cabinets you may find a web site for them where they tell you about how the cabinets are finished.

If possible swap the door for one in a less conspicuous location so the new finish is different will not stand out so much.

Good luck

Bill

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

If this is something you think you might have to do again in the future, it might be worth it to invest in a sampler pack of stains:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17250
          http://www.discountpaint.net/store/p...roductid=13668

Kinda pricey for a one time thing, but I've found it useful. The Varathane packs are really small, so I applied each color to two of my most commonly used woods and hung it on the wall. The GF pack has small bottles that are good for several samples.
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• x00018
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006
            • Cranberry Twp, PA
            • Sears BT3000 Clone

Thanks guys

This is the info I needed. I have ordered the color wheel and the sampler pack. I already have a few syringes to measure with so it looks like I'm all set for another weekend in the shop. I'm sure by the time I'm done I could have bought a new cabinet and just taken the door off cheaper but what fun is that!

Comment

Working...