• Show
Clear All
  • RyFitz13
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Terryville, CT, USA.
    • BT3100

Dutch doors

In the process of a master bedroom re-finish, LOML requested a dutch door for the corner closet. The closet, up until now, had only a curtain to serve as a doorway, and due to issues with one of the cats, the closet has been housing one of the cat-boxes for some time now.

Here's the result:

I built a similar style, one-piece door for our foyer coat closet a couple years back, so I was familiar with how to put this thing together. The main difference for this go around was that I now have a tall fence attachment I've built for my BT and a Freud dado stack - my previous attempt involved milling tongue-and-groove boards with only a router table. Talk about a difference - the milling of these boards went so much faster!

Only about a week of evenings and a Saturday left, and the bedroom should be complete!
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Our 'issues' with the litter box ended up with it in the bathtub of the hall bath. One we don't use and reserve for guests. Yes, they get to shower with the litter.

I like the floor. What is it? From the picture it looks like Australian something or other that I saw at a home show a while back. Kind of hate to cover it up with a bed

good luck on finishing up

Bill

Comment

• RyFitz13
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Terryville, CT, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
      I like the floor. What is it? From the picture it looks like Australian something or other that I saw at a home show a while back. Kind of hate to cover it up with a bed

good luck on finishing up

Bill
      The floor's a Bellawood Golden Teak. It came out really nicely, I'm very pleased with it.

I had originally thought I would patch a couple spots and then have the original floor refinished. It was a 3/8" floor (I was aware before I started) and it turns out it's been sanded down once or twice already - there just wasn't enough left to survive another sand and refinish. So, while my wallet's not so happy about having to buy a brand new floor, I really can't complain too much about the look!

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

nice floor, and nice doors. I like those long retro hinges.

But I'd have thought you'd need a flapping door that the cat could go thru without help; or can your cat handle bolts ?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• RyFitz13
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Terryville, CT, USA.
          • BT3100

Funny thing: The closet isn't actually deep enough to house the litter box with the door closed, so the door's pretty much permanently opened. This is surprisingly convenient, as it means we can tuck the bag of litter behind the open door and keep it out of sight, but still handy.

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Nice job. I like those z-bars.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment