• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Keyboard Drawer

Here's one example. Without spending money on a prefab slide out tray, it can be made like a three sided drawer. Side mount or bottom edge mount slides will work. Either a 5/8" or 3/4" bottom, and self closing euro hinges. The drawer front when closed is flush with the bottom of the tray. When the front is down, it stops the keyboard from moving forward and gives a slight elevation to the palm.

This type of hinge could also be used.

• RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Looks good and functional.

I think the other hinge you linked to would be better, in that it isn't so obtrusive. Either hinge serves the purpose though. Good design.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by RAFlorida
      I think the other hinge you linked to would be better, in that it isn't so obtrusive. Either hinge serves the purpose though. Good design.

This was a quickie drawer for LOML's keyboard that we both have used for over 10 years. I agree with you the hinges look a bit bulky, but they aren't in the way. I had to defeat the "self closing" feature on one hinge, as the action was pretty strong in closing.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Cool! I like that idea.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Without the self-close action, how do they stay shut? Those series hinges from blum now have snap on soft close attachments, which I've fallen in love with, they solve the self-close action problems in a way that ensure slamming can't occur, for 5$ a hinge, it's worth it to me.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Have you ever done a wider drawer, so you can keep the mouse down there, and use the desk as a desk still (less clutter)?
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by drumpriest
              Without the self-close action, how do they stay shut? Those series hinges from blum now have snap on soft close attachments, which I've fallen in love with, they solve the self-close action problems in a way that ensure slamming can't occur, for 5$ a hinge, it's worth it to me.

I made this statement: I had to defeat the "self closing" feature on one hinge, as the action was pretty strong in closing. I removed the cam action of one hinge to reduce the closing action. One hinge with and one without the "closing feature" is plenty for a drawer front.

I do this at times for small doors that may be narrow, or especially light, or tip down sink fronts. Many euro hinges are available in both "free swinging" or "self closing" action. At the time I did this drawer front I was probably out of free swinging hinges.

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                Have you ever done a wider drawer, so you can keep the mouse down there, and use the desk as a desk still (less clutter)?

Yes I have. It's just a matter of making the drawer wider. As for front-to-back clearance, most keyboards will clear the front of the top by pulling out the drawer 8". If full extensions are used, and you want some resistance to hold the drawer, there are bendable detents on most slides. For non full extension slides, 12" would work.

Here's a pretty good site for discount slides.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

looks great. good idea.

so whats next, something isnt right in the pic, i think you need a wooden keyboard

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

Ah, right, gotcha, thanks Cabinetman, LinuxRandal the keyboard tray that I made for my desk is extra wide, as I use an ergonomic keyboard and MUST have my mouse on the same plane. Works well, so I see no reason a wider drawer would be a problem. I do notice a big of side to side play in the keyboard slides that I used.

Cabinetman, forgot to say earlier, the drawer looks good, and a 10 year old keyboard must be well loved.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by drumpriest
                      Ah, right, gotcha, thanks Cabinetman, LinuxRandal the keyboard tray that I made for my desk is extra wide, as I use an ergonomic keyboard and MUST have my mouse on the same plane. Works well, so I see no reason a wider drawer would be a problem. I do notice a big of side to side play in the keyboard slides that I used.

Cabinetman, forgot to say earlier, the drawer looks good, and a 10 year old keyboard must be well loved.

Thanks. The drawer is 10 years old...the keyboard isn't.

Comment

• lrogers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Mobile, AL. USA.
                        • BT3000

That is a good idea.
                        Larry R. Rogers
                        The Samurai Wood Butcher
                        http://splash54.multiply.com
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment