• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Native Expression

This is another early carving I did in Pine, 12" wide, 18" high, and ¾" thick. I couldn't have planned for the grain to fall as well as it did, for the face, hair, and the feather. What's great about this kind of woodwork, not a lot of expensive equipment or space is needed, just patience, and some hand tools.

Last edited by cabinetman; 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM.
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

Another Very Cool Project
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
      I couldn't have planned for the grain to fall as well as it did, for the face, hair, and the arrow.
      Very cool... but, what arrow???

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by uncle cracker
        very cool... But, what arrow???
        feather!!!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

feather!!!
          Ahhh...

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Wow! You're right about the grain falling in the right places. Nice!

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
              John Hunter

Comment

• Slik Geek
                • Dec 2006
                • Lake County, Illinois
                • Ryobi BT-3000

What's great about this kind of woodwork, not a lot of expensive equipment or space is needed, just patience, and some hand tools.
                Uhhh, I think that you missed one of the things needed... talent. Very nice work - and certainly far better looking than what I would create.

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

Another masterpiece! How long does it take to make a piece like that?
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher
                  http://splash54.multiply.com
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Again.. very nice as I almost missed this one. You nailed that grain movement to the carving as you stated. Sometimes things just work out without intervention from above.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by Slik Geek
                      Uhhh, I think that you missed one of the things needed... talent. Very nice work - and certainly far better looking than what I would create.

The key word is patience. I might add that patience may be the sole reason that certain skills are not attainable. I had to learn that in my woodworking, and I'm still learning. I don't believe that woodworking skills are gifted skills, talent as you put it, but rather they can be learned.

It's trial and error. It took quite a while for me to develop the knack for handling hand tools. Carving is a slow progressive art form that allows an early detection when getting out of kilter. Sometimes subtle changes can get you back on track. Then there are times you want to fling it across the shop. My first attempts were a joke. What's amazing is a "feel" for the work starts to creep into your hands and you start getting predictable results. The feeling of accomplishment lasts a long time.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Lake County, Illinois
                        • Ryobi BT-3000

The key word is patience. I might add that patience may be the sole reason that certain skills are not attainable. I had to learn that in my woodworking, and I'm still learning. I don't believe that woodworking skills are gifted skills, talent as you put it, but rather they can be learned.
                        As I've worked at woodworking, the quality of my work has improved significantly. And yes, it required patience and experience (practice).

I suggest that there may be a difference between improving the quality of woodworking projects (tight joints, smooth finishes, etc.) and fine artistic touches. With time and practice, I'm sure that I could learn to control the carving tools with precision... but I'm still doubtful that my artistic abilities could ever match what you have attained.

I fear that I would only achieve the ability to efficiently and precisely create a really ugly carving!!

Nevertheless, I will grant you that I have developed a skill for making my pieces look nicer in terms of features (so I have improved beyond just technical execution), so maybe there is a latent ability that just needs to be developed.

Comment

• tribalwind
                          • Feb 2004
                          • long island, ny.

wow..it really is incredible how well teh grain patterns worked out on this!!!
                          very nice
                          namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...