• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

A couple of Santa presents

For Christmas "Santa" brought our youngest a work table with with a wooden hammer and pegs to pound and hammer with. So far he has played with that the most. So here is a couple of pictures of him playing with it and figuring out how not to hit his fingers.

This one shows another present that Santa brought which our oldest was playing with trying to show Thomas how it works but as you can see Thomas was more interested in looking at his work table.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Near the bottom of the second picture next to Richard's leg is barely visable Thomas' rubber band powered paddle boat. The plans I found for it were seriously flawed IMHO. I routed the sides with a small core box bit, drilled a through hole for the rubber band and cut a 1/4" dowel in half legnthwise to secure the rubber band. The "plans" has just a v notch to hold the rubber band. 3/4" stock for the body and the paddle was 1/4" left way too much slop. There also was not enough room for the rubber band to twist.

The boat was maple with red oak for the paddle with a rattle can poly, three coats. The mallet is a turned piece of scrap walnut with a ("hardwood") dowel handle, as are the pegs, glued with a slit in the top plus a wedge. The bench is white oak with sliding dovetails. Tung oil finsih on this project. The Duck is maple body and feet and birds eye maple handle and head, with a tung oil finish.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

Nothing like happy faces playing with toys created in the shop with love.
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Thats great! Simple toys equal smarter children, IMHO. Imagination is a much needed tool to have developed at their age.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I think he got that table pretty "cut and dried" on the first day.. I think Dad shoud build him one like "Daddy" has 1/3 scale. A larger mallet would be good also.

Precious....

Comment

Working...