This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

Simple Bedroom TV Stand...

Another of my simple designs in an attempt to match the bed and 6 drawer chest I made for my wife. This is the simple piece of the puzzle that will also include a chest on chest. But.. simple in execution does not always relate to simple in design and can lead to frustration.

The design is straight-forward but I became frustrated with the concept of making a modern, small TV blend with the over-all concept. I had to grit my teeth before forcing myself to cut holes in the rear dust shield to allow electrical cords to pass through. That goes against my grain as I suppose I am some-what "old-school". How do you make a TV blend into the picture... you don't IMO and compromise.

So.. another domestic harmony decision was made and I cut the holes as my lovely insisted. So... what you see is what you get. The good news is you don't see them from most normal angles. The bad news is they are there and I know they are there.

Another of my Southern Cross inspired creations from local wood and Hazard County, Georgia (home of the Duke's which includes Daisy) inspiration. Solid wood.. all joints with exception of 6 screws for top fastening.. Mortises are machine cut with tenons hand sawed. Secret mitered DT's (which can't be seen) on mitered base corners.

In other words.. more "junk" from me to blend with my other "junk". My ability with a camera and lighting distorts reality somewhat... but I have accepted that as just the way it is... with my camera and my knowledge of how to use it.

Now.. I can go build some more "junk".
    Attached Files
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Sarge, I only have criticism for you : you think too much, you brood too much and you criticize too much !

That is one fine piece of furniture, and nothing you say can convince me otherwise. It's simple, and it's utilitarian, and it looks great. What more do you want?

Hand cut Tenons, mitered DTs... wow! My 'high class' output would not come close to what you call 'junk'. So please don't do that... !

Btw - how'd you finish it?

And, how are the shelves sitting? On pins or dados?
    Last edited by radhak; 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
      • Nov 2004
      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
      • Delta Contractor Saw

I don't think your camera skills are at all lacking and the piece is clean, functional and obviously well constructed. Most of us are having to bite the bullet due to electronics.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

That's a very nice piece, Sarge. Don't change a thing.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Nice work Sarge. I like the curves. And mitered, hidden dovetails? Oo la la!

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
          Another of my Southern Cross inspired creations from local wood and Hazard County, Georgia (home of the Duke's which includes Daisy) inspiration.
          Thanks for including that part. Wouldn't want it to slip my mind!
          JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks for looking and the kind words.. Rad.. Mike.. Uncle Crack.. and JR.

Rad... just my nature to affectionately call my work "junk" as it is usuallu done with other than the more valued domestics and exoctics. And I am a bit fussy with execution which is also just my nature.

The shelves are in dadoes.. but not permanently attached. I used to cut dadoes with a router after I sold my dado set. But I used a double pass with a Freud 3/8" box cutter set as it leaves the cleanest cut on the sides and bottom I have ever seen. No clean-up what-so-ever.

And the shelves can be removed as they will slide in and out by removing the rear dust shield. They lend no support to the sides as that was already provided.. allow expansion from front to rear of the side panels.. and can be removed if you just need one shelf on no additional shelves in future considerations of what you want to use that space for.

JR.. glad you also like "Daisy". Life in Hazard Couinty (a fictious county made up for the show) just hasn't been the same since she left for Hollywood, Ca. Fortunately my younger wife fills the role very well and the chest of drawers was especially designed to hold a lot of "Daisy Duke" shorts and tops for this very hot summer weather we're having early here in Georgia.

Gotta run guys as I have to drive my wife to an appointment in Atlanta. No shop time until to-nite as I goofed off yesterday with some shop improvements and modifications until tomorrow when the search for lumber begins it's vicious cycle again. That's a big southern, "H*ll Yeah"..

Opps.. edit to include I used poly over a coat of cured Danish oil. I am normally a shellac man but poly got the call here as the TV gets shifted on top often and I felt a more durable to scratches finish would be better suited in this case. Normally I keep poly to a kitchen and bathroom use only.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Some people's "Junk" are others aspirations... nice work!
              Do you have a mouse problem? I noticed these little holes in the back.

I’ve been thinking about a cabinet design for my AV equipment. One thing I hate is all the cables hanging out the back. I’m considering doing a removable false back a couple inches behind the actual back/shear panel with the holes. The holes wouldn’t show through, especially when light is reflected from the wall behind and the cables would be neatly concealed.
              Erik

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

sarge! that is one beautiful piece of furniture. turely a creative design. i love those curves. very nice. i would be more than happy and feel honored to take that "junk" off your hands.

Comment

• Popeye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Woodbine, Ga
                  • Grizzly 1023SL

That's some pretty good lookin junk there Sarge. I especially like the junky curved stiles on the face frame, turns a simple junky design into a unique junky design. Keep up the junky work Sarge, it gives the rest of us junk to aspire to. Pat

P.S. lighten up on yourself.
                  Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Sarge,

I like that piece a lot. Nicely executed. The curves on the face frame trick the eye into thinking the sides are actually curved. I would not worry about the holes in the dust shield - how else would you get cords in there from behind? Besides once stuff is put on those shelves you won't see them.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

I am tempted to take a poll as to whether we should outlaw Sarge from using the word "simple" to describe his projects.

It severely limits the words I can use to describe my own projects.
                      Doug Kerfoot
                      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks pelligrini.. Omar.. Crockett.. and Doug..

And special thanks to Crockett for the description of exactly what I was attempting to do with the curved front which is give the effect of curved sides. They were cut as normal with the aid of a symetrical bow.. a band-saw and a template with pattern cutting bit.

But then I went high tech and pulled out the spoke-shave to take the normal curve to another dimention by trusting your eye to take a little here and a little there. Amazing how a simple tool can add a touch of pi-zazz to an otherwise simple box. The back lip of the side panels have a reliev curve also but it is so suttle you would not recognize it in a picture.

I always wanted to be a "junk-man". I had a "junk-yard dog" as a kid but the right opporturnity just never presented itself. But now I have my chance to be the "junkman" I always wanted to be. Not a fireman.. not a police-man nor a doctor. A genuine "junkman" that takes pride in his "junk".

Regards to all as I am thinking of moving my shop the the former location of "Sanford and Son" junk-yard. Fred and Lamont did very well in business at that location

Comment

• Duff
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • San Antonio, TX
                          • Enco 12" RT

I like the colors!!! Almost a mission style too
                          Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

I have to agree with you, Sarge. Total junk, from what I see in those photos. The face rails and that apron aren't even cut straight! Obvious to me that you are either lacking in skills or there was something major amiss in your set up at the time. And those horrid holes in the back...What were you thinking, Man?

Top save you the embarassment of having to admit to your friend and relatives that you concocted this pile of sawdust, ship it to me IMMEDIATELY for disposal. Just to show what a great guy I am, I will even pay the freight!

Or, better stated, that is a beautiful piece!!!!!!!
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• lrogers
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mobile, AL. USA.
                              • BT3000

The little details you added REALLY made the piece.
                              Larry R. Rogers
                              The Samurai Wood Butcher
                              http://splash54.multiply.com
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...