• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Gates, Fence, Etc.

As promised. All told I used roughly 630' of fence. 38 T posts. 11 4"x4" posts. 50 bf of western cedar.

Gate one:

Gate two:

Fence;

Other project done that was actually part of the same upgrade was to build 4 hose hangers. 10' of lumber made almost three of these. The design is my adaptation of pictures that I saw several years ago in Wood magazine. The miter angles are 45° 25° and 90° Between the front and the back are small nail blocks cut to the same profile and 5 slats nailed to them on which to hang the hose(s). The main structure is screwed together with #8 x 1 1/2" exterior screws. Finish is one coat of premium deck stain.

close up quarter view.
    close up front view.
    The above two views was my prototype and is not as deep as the other three.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
    John Hunter

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

That looks like a lot of work. Was it to keep critters out or kids in?????
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
        Bandsaw Box Momma
        • Apr 2005
        • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by lrogers
        That looks like a lot of work. Was it to keep critters out or kids in?????

Larry the fence was made to keep dogs and Thomas in. Along the front of our property there is an irrigation ditch that is fairly deep and Thomas being so young would love to play in it. The fence also allows our choc. lab to run the property instead of being on a 98 ft or so rope run. Our neighbors at one time called the sheriff's dept. on us about 3 times in a month or so because the lab is uncut and protective and they were afraid of him.

And since the dog is running the yard I haven't seen that many cat prints on my car, as a matter of fact I don't think I have seen them in the yard....at least for a while
        Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

cool, looks nice. i like the idea of a wooden hose hanger.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice job.. but I would keep an eye on Thomas as he gets a mite older. My dad built a fence to keep me from riding my tri-cycle to town as we lived two blocks from the main businesses and court house square. I conveintly left my tri-cycle outside the fence when I was supervised and discovered climbing fences the next day.

Off to town and of course he whipped my hinny but good with a hickory stick and told me to never climb that fence again. The next day I learned to open the latch and off too town on my tri-cycle........

You get the drift.......

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by Mrs. Wallnut
              Our neighbors at one time called the sheriff's dept. on us about 3 times in a month or so because the lab is uncut and protective and they were afraid of him.
              I've never meet a lab I couldn't corrupt with hot dogs and/or bacon.

But you're better off with the fence.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I like the hose hangers, too. Nice work!
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                  Bandsaw Box Momma
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                  Very nice job.. but I would keep an eye on Thomas as he gets a mite older. My dad built a fence to keep me from riding my tri-cycle to town as we lived two blocks from the main businesses and court house square. I conveintly left my tri-cycle outside the fence when I was supervised and discovered climbing fences the next day.

Off to town and of course he whipped my hinny but good with a hickory stick and told me to never climb that fence again. The next day I learned to open the latch and off too town on my tri-cycle........

You get the drift.......
                  I get your drift. And its funny you should mention this. I don't know if you can see the latches in the gate pictures but it took him a day or so and he had them open. Now there is a hook and eye latch on the outside of the gate so that if he does try to open it now it won't open.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                    Yeah, I like the hose hangers, too. Nice work!

I really like the hose hangers. I think they make the place look great along with all the other improvements we have made over the years.

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

Very nice work. One of my future projects includes replacing a gate like that.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice work on both the gate and the hose hangers. My wife looked at the hangers and just ordered a set. I guess I know what one of my summer projects is.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...