• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Flip top mobile tool base

With space at a premium and all my tools having to live around the edge of my garage and moved out when needed I have been working on multi function tool bases.

I adapted this idea from an article I saw in FWW last year. My planer had been sitting on a standard metal tool stand. It was not easy to move and all the space below was wasted. This flip top base is easily moveable, with fully lockable casters. It is designed to snug up against one of my benches for planing longer stock (still working on a leveling height adjustment). When not in use it is flipped over and the top can be used as a base for other tools e.g. my benchtop jointer. I have a plan to build thin bases for a few tools that will fit over this one so I can wheel them out when necessary a good example is my DP. When they are done (hopefully next weekend) I will post more pictures.

I built it 99% out of material I had lying around. This was a double edged sword - Material cost was basically zero, time taken was probably at least 3x more than if I had gone and bought a couple of sheets of good quality ply. This was mainly due to the need to adapt the design and build to match the stock causing much extra work.
    Attached Files
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Nice! What did you use for locking it in place? It looks like just bolts, but I can't tell for sure.

I've been putting off making one for my Dewalt. After lugging the 100lb thing in and out of my shed 3 times this weekend I think it's time to get it done. You remember which issue it was from?
    Erik

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Very nice Jon, I must add this to my to-do list
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Well done. I have a Ridgid planer, and it can be beast to move around. Your solution is excellent.

JR
        JR

Comment

• dkerfoot
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Holland, Michigan
          • Craftsman 21829

Very nice! I love the idea of these flip-top bases, but wonder how awkward they are in actual use to flip, considering the weight difference between top and bottom.

Any danger of losing an arm flipping it one way or throwing your back out flipping it the other?
          Doug Kerfoot
          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          KeyLlama.com

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
            Nice! What did you use for locking it in place? It looks like just bolts, but I can't tell for sure.

I've been putting off making one for my Dewalt. After lugging the 100lb thing in and out of my shed 3 times this weekend I think it's time to get it done. You remember which issue it was from?
            It was in last winters "tools and shops" special issue. There werent really any plans as such more a blown up diag and a short description. If anybody wants I could scan and post it.

The original version used HW tabs to keep the top in place. This may be easier but means the top is no longer flat so not as easy to put another flat base on top. I did use bolts with glued in captive nuts in the top. I considered putting handles on them but to be big enough to be useful they may sit pround of the top. I pre-drilled the fliptop supports and base and then when assembled drilled through the side of the casing. Registration is a PITA. You need to get it spot on so when you flip it the holes align both ways. I got one slightly off but it still just works, I dont really want to enlarge the hole as this may introduce some instability in the top.
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

nice! it seem very functional!

so how does the flipping work? you pull the pin, flip and slide and repin?

edit: you just answered my question.
              Last edited by footprintsinconc; 05-19-2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                Very nice! I love the idea of these flip-top bases, but wonder how awkward they are in actual use to flip, considering the weight difference between top and bottom.

Any danger of losing an arm flipping it one way or throwing your back out flipping it the other?
                Built correctly and with the planer centered it is pretty well balanced. When it was on the old standard metal base it was a lot more difficult to move and leaving it as a stand alone and lifting it onto a bench each time you want to use it is much more likely to throw out your back - it weighs nearly 100lbs

I guess you could trap something in it but there are so many dangerous things in our shops, this is just one more to be mindful of. As I only finished it yesterday not too much practical experinece. It seemd easier to swing it up and fix in position. the challenge when swing it back down is to remeber to keep you hand in one of the top handles as you remove the last bolt. As I said it is pretty well balanced so its not going to try and pull you over but you must keep a hand on it and make sure the casters are LOCKED!
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by poolhound
                  It was in last winters "tools and shops" special issue. There werent really any plans as such more a blown up diag and a short description. If anybody wants I could scan and post it.
                  Thanks. I know I had seen it, I just couldn't find it again. I didn't like the tab design either. Did you use a steel rod or a wood dowel for the pivot?

I'm glad I did put off building one for my DW735 though. When I finally got the feed tables for it I found that the back one doesn't flip up all the way.
                  Erik

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                    Thanks. I know I had seen it, I just couldn't find it again. I didn't like the tab design either. Did you use a steel rod or a wood dowel for the pivot?

I'm glad I did put off building one for my DW735 though. When I finally got the feed tables for it I found that the back one doesn't flip up all the way.
                    1/2" steel rod, I dont think a dowel would be strong enough.
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

That is very nice work. I need to take the time and build one myself.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Tamarack
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2003
                        • Speedwell, TN USA
                        • BT3100

Wood magazine has plans for something like this in their October 2003 issue (#151)
                        and the November 2003 issue (#152). One is showing what looks like your model planer, and the other is used with the Ridgid oscillating belt sander. I have both tools and have been debating with myself whether to make two units or just one and put both tools in it side-by-side. WOOD shows a double-cabinet design, with space for drawers or cabinet space beside the stowed tool. Hope someone can use the info.
                        Paul

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

There's a good writeup on another version I found with a websearch a few weeks ago.

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/gizmodyne/blog/3099
                          Erik

Comment

• John Hunter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                            • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice setup!
                            John Hunter

Comment

• lrogers
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mobile, AL. USA.
                              • BT3000

Nice! I've had plans for one of those for a long time, just never got around to building it.
                              Larry R. Rogers
                              The Samurai Wood Butcher
                              http://splash54.multiply.com
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...