• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Added Level of difficulty in pens

I was drilling a blank last week and Had a thought, Since I turn between centers with special bushings, Why couldn't I make a single body closed end slimline? So I tried it. Guess it works.

The first is an Irish Bog Oak that is short, I cut 1/2 inch off the refill to make it fit and had to press the transmission in further to compensate. I think the result is okay, and making the final cut and finishing the pointy end is very difficult.

The second is Purpleheart, and is much longer. It has a small dimple in the closed end from the live center, but it was much easier to complete as the center was in place the entire time. This one was done firsh and I like the overall effect enough that I think I'll do more like it before doing more of the pointy ones. This one is my favorite,
    Attached Files
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • Duff
    Established Member
    • Apr 2007
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Enco 12" RT

I'm not a pen-guy, but can't you sand the end by hand and remove the dimples? I like the shape of the black one!
    Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

It's an interesting design, but I can only see it (in the UK) as part of a desk set, maybe with a pencil and letter-opener to match. That's due to not having a pocket clip, of course - over here that's almost mandatory, whatever the style.

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Mike

Very nice, I like the purple heart the best. Like Ray said they would make great desk sets. I was wondering if you couldn't mount the Pen in a Bottle Stopper Chuck and finsh the rounded end so you wouldn't have the dimple. I made one of your one piece slim lines the other night and I am thinking of making a one peice European pen with a piece of Acrylic on the nib end. One question, how do you make the one peice pen a little easier to twist on extending the point. I did my one piece by drilling from both ends and had no problem, guess I got lucky.

Tom

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by TB Roye
          Mike

One question, how do you make the one peice pen a little easier to twist on extending the point. Tom
          Hmmm, good question. They ARE a bit harder to open/close since the metal is so smooth. The only thing I can think of wold be to alter the nib in some way so you can grip it better, but the plating is so thin that you'd likely end up with brass showing through.

Oh and I really didn't come up with the single body slimline, I just like them since they allow alot of creativity and size variation (no centerband, length is more adjustable, etc.) I doubt that I even came up witht he single body closed end first, but I did it on my own which is half the fun for me.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
            John Hunter

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

I always look forward to seeing the new stuff you come up with Mike. I have to agree with Ray, that would make a really nice desk set.
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

That is really neat. They look very nice.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I think they look good, Mike. I know little about building them or turning in general, so I can't comment as the others about details. They just look good to a non-turner... simple as that.

Regards...

Comment

Working...