• Show
Clear All
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

New workbench

To build anything of value, including a good workbench, you need...you guessed it...a workbench. So, to prepare for my dream workbench with full slideout drawers and a hutch above it, I built a lower end workbench that should get me through the hump. My primary goals were:

* Cheap
    * Easy
    * Somewhat portable - it may move around in the garage
    * Hold most of the tools in one place instead of scattered around
    * Good enough to use, crappy enough that I will still be motivated to build the better workbench!

I had one other additional criteria. My wife ordered some BeStar desks for her office and the tops were damaged. BeStar sent new desktops and told her to keep the old ones. Jackpot! I have a 66"x29.5" and 66"x20" desktop, a full inch thick with laminated tops, bottoms, and sides. They're made of some sort of manufactured board, either MDF or a high density particle board - I would guess particle based on the weight, with the lamination it doesn't matter that much either way.

I chose to use the deeper top. My plan called for a 39"Hx25"Dx60"W bottom, a slightly undersized 1/2" plywood top, the desktop on top of that, and a shelf made of hardboard approx 16" off the floor. The bottom is made entirely of cheap framing 2x4's cut to size. The shelves are simple square boxes with a middle crossbeam to support the shelf. The legs are 2x4's drilled into the front and back of the shelves. The hardboard was cut to fit the lower shelf and screwed in. The plywood top was screwed down into the top shelf and then I screwed up into the desktop.

When it was done, it weighed less than I feared and it held more than I anticipated. As you can see from the photo, I have some more work to do in replacing the shelves that are about 6" above the surface, but that's for another weekend.

Total cost: $60 plus some 2" and 1.5" drywall screws I already had and wood glue; desktop was free
    Time: approx. 10 hours split across two days.
    Tools used: Various drills, circular saw, table saw, belt sander, sandpaper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench_Version_1.0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	791519
    Full sized - https://ronelson.dynip.com:8443/wiki...ersion_1.0.jpg

It accomplished all the goals. Cheap and easy were, ahem, easy. It's fairly light so aside from the horrible sound of the legs sliding across concrete, it can be moved without much effort. It holds all my tools except the table saw (duh!) and there's a lot of room for improvement, so I'm not going to sit on my laurels and deal with it forever.

My only complaint is that when I screwed the 2x4's together for the shelving, I didn't think about the aesthetics of the final look. I had to screw the legs on in an ugly pattern (further uglified by screwing up the top-left leg you can see on the full sized link) and in spite of this being a "throw away" item, I wish I had taken a bit more care. However, everything's fairly square for framing timber and no jointer or planar and the top itself is flat as could be, so I have no real regrets. This will let me get my garage in order so that I have room to build things and give me a place to work without being hunched over some boards laid across sawhorses. A straight back alone is worth $60!

Actually, it's going to be about $68. My #8 countersink bit snapped off, amusingly while not even applying any pressure. Wasn't so amusing at the time
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

Looks great!
    John Hunter

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Put some retract wheels on it later and use it for an assembly table once your "keeper" bench is built.

Comment

• rnelson0
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Firestorm FS2500TS

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        Put some retract wheels on it later and use it for an assembly table once your "keeper" bench is built.
        The garage is too small for that, but I may do something like that with the credenza top (20"x66") in the future. The problem is that in a small space, that would easily be confused with shelving, and then I wouldn't have an assembly table

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

It was built for a purpose and meets the requirements. What more can you ask of a workbench? If someone else doesn't like the pattern of the screws, tell them to go screw it themselves!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Unless you do any heavy hand planing (that puts some diagonal forces on a bench), she looks good to go to me. I would second Cracker on use it for an assembly table latter.. but you covered why you couldn't.

And BTW.. if you did any heavy hand-planing.. all you would need is a few more cross braces under the top to counter the force created when planing. So... it looks good to go to me. But maybe I already said that?

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

That bench looks great. I would definitely keep it as an assmbley table if you can.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by rnelson0
                The problem is that in a small space, that would easily be confused with shelving, and then I wouldn't have an assembly table
                True, but then you would have more shelving...

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Very nice, its going to help you create your dream bench. I especially like the proximity to the Lager on top of the fridge. Should we all come round for a cold one?
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• rnelson0
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Very nice, its going to help you create your dream bench. I especially like the proximity to the Lager on top of the fridge. Should we all come round for a cold one?
                    That was an unplanned feature of the bench location, but I have to take advantage of it soon - that's a leftover fridge from our move and we'll be replacing it with our freezer. I may need some help drinking the lager, there's a ton more in the fridge. If you live in the area, feel free! Be warned, I may then need to visit your place for a cold one and to borrow a tool I don't have

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

It looks good to me. You accomplished your goal.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Looks great! Congratulations for a job WELL done and also for posting it.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

Nice! That will get lots of use. I've always wondered at the irony of needing a work bench to build a work bench. Sorta like needing a tool to make the machine that makes the tool!
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...