• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Clamp Rack for shop...

I got a bunch of new jet parallel jaw clamps for christmas, and I just had more clamps than I had storage for clamps, so I made this wall mounted rack for them. I put up the plywood so that the drywall won't get banged around too much, and so that I can attach future things like a little shelf or chisel holders, or something along those lines.

Certainly not my "finest" work, but it's functional. I have more clamps than fit on this rack, but this holds my go to set. I have my shorter clamps elsewhere, and my "I'm all out, I guess I need these" clamps elsewhere as well...

Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Functional is good.

Most of mine hang from the rafters in the "shop". Literally! The walls were spoken for before I was able to carve out some space.

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Looks great!
      John Hunter

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I just did about the same thing a few weeks ago, Keith... as 36 years of adding just about got out of control. Your rack looks really good.

BTW.. as you accumulate more.. you could alter your design by removing the top piece the clamps slide on and replace it with one wider. I had to do that as I have 6 48's.. 4 60's.. 4 72's.. and we won't get into how many 36" and under.

If I had put them single file.. I would have taken a whole wall and a half so... I have as many as 3 in some slots out of necessity. Just something to think about as I have a feeling you will add to your already "healthy" collection as regardless of how many you have.. you always come up one short!

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

It holds your clamps. Functional.

Is it pretty? It holds your clamps!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

Very nice! I went the "cheap & easy" way, I clamp them to the frame of the dust collecter!
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• rjwaldren
                Established Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Fresno, CA

I need to get some clamp storage built this w/e.

I recently saw a tip for storing clamps that I liked - The suggestion was to make make small shelf style holders that come out from the wall to allow storing bar clamps 4 deep on either side rather than a rail across the top. The suggestion was for peg board mounting of the holders, which seems pretty weak, but a solid ply mount would still be adjustable (screw the shelves straight to it) and allow storing alot of clamps in a very small space.

Of course fewer parallel clamps would fit on each shelf than bar clamps.

Comment

• mater
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • SC, USA.

I like it. It will make the clamps easier to get to. My clamps used to be so disorganized I would have to move several clamps to find the right size.
                  Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

Working...