• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Your most used shop-made jig/accessory

Other than featherboards, probably my most used accessory is the miter saw station http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ter+station%22. Tell us about yours, and post pics, if possible.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

This is the typical type of "T" square jig I use for dadoes with a router. It's shop made from plywood. The one in the picture will handle a 49" dado. The panel shown in the jig is 16" x 16". The first pass on the jig sets the groove. Then a mark is made where the dado goes and there's no measuring. The bar clamp is placed tight to the inside of the right leg to keep it placed. Very fast set up.

Comment

• smorris
      • Apr 2003
      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I made an adjustable fence for my 3100 router table which I discovered later was also just the right size and has all the right adjustments to serve for resawing on the bandsaw. That gets a lot of use back and forth.
      --
      Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Tenoning jig by far with the amount of mortise and tenons I use with a taper jig coming in a distant second...

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

By a large margin, mine is my table saw cross cut sled. 2nd would probably be my veneer resaw fence for the bandsaw.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• Tony Ward
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2006
            • Blue Mountains, Australia

n it only cost 20 cents

Hi

By far my most used and useful jig only cost 20 cents. If I ever decided to sell it I could only get 20 cents.

I use it every day to define the curve size when using a 1/4" bandsaw blade.

It is a 20 cent piece.

Good Health
            Tony Ward
            Tony Ward
            Bandsawn Box Plans

Comment

• scmhogg
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

I agree with Keith. My sled is clearly the most used. Since I make mostly small stuff, I even use the sled for a lot of my rips. I have a lot of pencil lines parallel with the blade to line up the rip cuts. I use a removable hold down for really small pieces. With the blade cover and a stop, I feel much safer at the saw.

Steve
              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Not only the most-used, also the most accurate for repeatability. Due to the number of cabinet carcasses, etc. I've made, it's certainly earned it's keep.

Ray.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I have a jig like Ray's and I like my sleds but I will add one that I did not notice mentioned. I have a setup for my RAS and CMS that includes a fence over 8 feet long with a t slot, flip stops, and a stick-on tape. Very nice for crosscuts.

I also use one of my home-made bases for my routers most of the time. Clear one usually.

Jim

Comment

• RodKirby
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Definitely this one...

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

The cicle cutting jig I made for the bandsaw. The train toy box I made for Tavish last year had a LOT of wheels to cut.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

I made a few self powered jigs that really knocked the wind out of the sails of my previous jigs.

Worlds largest machinist, CNC , wood router , metal working , wood working , cad , lathe maching and manufacturing forum

Worlds largest machinist, CNC , wood router , metal working , wood working , cad , lathe maching and manufacturing forum

Of course these may not actually be considered jigs since they are under power.
                        Lee

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Out of everything I've built for my shop, my torsion box assembly table easily gets the most use. If I'm not actively building something atop it, I'm using it as a staging area when milling lumber, or as a place to pile stuff when I'm working on another surface nearby.

But more in keeping with the OP's question about jigs and accessories, I'd have to say the router table fence I made for the Otter-built "Ryoborghini," both shown below in my previous, smaller shop building:

It will look familiar to some members. I've posted it before, and it's a knock-off of the popular WOOD Magazine design from three or four years ago that a few other members have built in one form or another.
                          Larry

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Although not a jig, my router fence gets plenty of use.

Old picture! Shown with my previous wide table.
                            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...