• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Crosscut Sleds

I recently added little extension tables on either side of the blade so I could try sleds for crosscutting rather than the SMT. I posted a little article on the extension tables, I thought some of you might like to see the sleds. I based them on a collection of what I've seen in others sleds. The base is 1/2 MDF, only because I had a big scrap, and the fences are two pieces of 3/4 plywood glued together (also scraps). The runners are oak. The little one will crosscut 13 inches, the big one just under 26 inches. Both are as accurate as I have anything to check against. I used a technique I saw in another post here, I think it was by "nicki" to square the front fence. You put a temporary back fence on and cut through most of the sled. Then you insert a thin scrap and use large drafting squares up against the scrap in the ripped kerf to square the fence. Good idea.

You should see that I have a replaceable piece 2 inches wide of 1/8 thick tempered hardboard for a zero clearance insert. The dado for it goes under the fences so on the big one I just cut the insert to 26 1/2 inches and tucked 1/4 inch under the fences at both ends. I put screws on the little one but they do not seem necessary.
  • kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Brunswick, MD

You've really got me thinking about setting my saw up like you're doing. I'd also like to have one of these, which your setup would allow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFOX9kUKm4

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I might make a single runner sled or panel cutter, as Norm calls it, but if I do, it would be because they are lighter. My big sled is heavy and my little one is not real light. I do not think it will be more accurate, possibly as accurate as my dual runner sleds.

I hope Norm has checked his trusty carpenters square against something really square. I have been tempted to take a drafting square to Sears or somebody else with a big supply and see if any are really square. If I can find one, I would happily buy it. I haven't seen a square one yet.

Jim

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
        John Hunter

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Those look good. I need to get busy and make me a crosscut sled.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Nice job Jim. You trying to give Rod a run-for-his-money?
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

real nice! another one of those things that i have been putting off doing.

Comment

Working...