• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Enterance Bench/Shoe Storage - Almost Done

Well, this is that dreaded project that i made mistakes basically at every step. this time around, i couldnt just walk away, so i ended up finishing. the doors seem to be sliding fine except one is a little tight. i still have to incorporate some type of handle system in the doors. i do plan on waiting a couple of weeks at least before applying a finish and/or stain.

Basically, this is made out of 5/4 maple. the top is 1 1/8" thick. the infill panels on the sides and for the sliding doors are maple ply. i got the idea for sliding doors from fine ww mag (october 2004 no.172). the 4th picture is the top of door detail and the 5th picture shows the bottom of door detail.

i have heard that maple does not take on stains very well, is that true? if so, then i may just apply a clear finish.

thanks for looking!

edit: what ever i build, i usually draw it up in autocad. i am always willing to share with anyone the file if they are interested. i can send you the autocad file or i can send a pdf as well.
    Last edited by footprintsinconc; 01-04-2008, 09:28 AM.
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Very nice looking. I like the maple and I like the profile on the top of the piece. IMO I would put a clear poly on it as I like the looks of that they way it is and I think a clear coat would make the grain stand out.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• affyx
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2007
      • Mechanicsburg, PA
      • BT3000 (sold), ShopSmith (bought then sold), BT3100 (just bought on CL)

Very nice - the sliding doors are great. I agree with Mrs. W... it would be a shame to put stain on that beautiful maple - just some clear wipe on finish is what I'd do.
      JC

LumberJocks: http://lumberjocks.com/affyx

"I lost my little saw and now I can't cope."

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

Yep, clear finish all the way. That is really a nice looking piece and the sliding doors are a nice touch.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Hey Foot,

Well, with or without mistakes, that's one heck of a good looking piece. Something you should really be proud of. Remember, only you know about the screw ups.

BTW, I'm just finishing a desk (1 1/2 years in the making, and I couldn't even guess at the amount of mistakes I made, and that's not counting the same one I made five times).

Maple does blotch, thake it from me. And I didn't stain it, only used "Natural" Watco oil finish. So I do suggest you pre treat prior to doing any type of finish.

Cabinetman had a good suggestion, I'll find it and append it to this answer.

Here's the url for the pre treatment Cab suggested and considering I respect his judgement (most of the time), I bet it works great. Too late for me to try it. http://www.dalyspaint.com/store/inde...&products_id=1

Once again, a great job and I bet you won't make MOST of those mistakes again.

Bruce
          Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 01-04-2008, 10:15 AM. Reason: adding resource
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • BT3100

thanks fellows! at the front entrance, with the door, the blinds and the table, this piece is just too white. however, i too am leaning towards no stains.

bruce, i am going to look into the post that cman has about finishes. thanks for the link to the item. did the watco oil help bring out the grain or help with darkening the maple?

it was funny, this afternoon while on the net, i came across someone who said that his shop teacher use to majority of the time use 'johnson's paste wax' rubbed into wood with 000 steel wool and the buffed with a towel. has anyone here done that before or heard or may have seen a piece finished in that manner?

regards,

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Great Job! Omar
              Did you use frame and panel construction on the end panels? If you did, how did you attach them to the posts that support the piece?
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Duff
                Established Member
                • Apr 2007
                • San Antonio, TX
                • Enco 12" RT

after seeing those cuts. . .

I feel like a hack!! Very nice...durnit...
                Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                  thanks fellows! at the front entrance, with the door, the blinds and the table, this piece is just too white. however, i too am leaning towards no stains.

it was funny, this afternoon while on the net, i came across someone who said that his shop teacher use to majority of the time use 'johnson's paste wax' rubbed into wood with 000 steel wool and the buffed with a towel. has anyone here done that before or heard or may have seen a piece finished in that manner?

regards,
                  I have used steel wool and Johnson's past wax numerous times over the past 30 - 40 years. It does well. I put 3 or 4 coats on it in the period of a week. Steel wool-ing it in does well, IMO. I had not heard of anyone else doing it that way until I came here. Good minds think a like.

That does look nice. It made me think you were in Japan where ALL shoes are taken off at the door and only house shoes / slippers, sock feet are allowed beyond around 6 feet from the entrance.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 01-05-2008, 04:39 AM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

That looks great and very nice work.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • BT3100

thanks for the warm remarks!

chopnhack: the sides are panel and frame construction. they are 3/4" thick. then this unit got a 1 1/8" thick x 1 1/2" wide x same length as the frame piece top and bottom. the frame and panel piece is set back 5/16" to give a recessed look. these two pieces were glued, clamped and nailed togather. the front legs are 1 1/2" square but the back legs are 1 1/2" x 1 1/8" thick. you could probably see it in the picture that i have attached to this post. the middle panel was glued and pocket screwed into the back legs (set the pocket screw jig to 1/2" material setting) and then the front leg was attached also glued and pocket screwed to the panel. however, the pocket screws were only done at the top and bottom attachment (the pocket screw jig was set to 1" thick material setting). i didnt want to see the pocket screws in the front, so that is the reason they were only done on the top and bottom piece for the front leg attachment. everything was clamped before i put the screws in. the front top and bottom rail was pocket screwed from the top and bottom so that it isnt visible. sorry for rambling on too long.

Hank: i am actually from canada. a lot of canadians take their shoes off at the front entrance. some have house slippers that they only wear inside their house and they dont take even a step outisde with them. as odd as it may sound, we even as our guest to take their shoes off. its just more cleaner this way. as for the johson's paste wax, i am going to try it on a rough piece, and may even use it on this piece if it works or looks ok, obviously comparing it to a piece that will be finished with wipe on poly.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

I also think a clear finish would look great on that project. In the following picture both projects are a mix of maple and black walnut. The magazine basket in the back is a few years older notice how it has darkened with age. The finish on the magazine basket is pure tung oil.

Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• GPA61
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                          • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Great looking work, well done!!!
                          Claudio

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

I think you have learned the true secret to our hobby...Hiding the mistakes so no one else can see them!

I certainly can see any in this piece.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• John Hunter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                              • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                              John Hunter

Comment

Working...