• Show
Clear All
  • Brian in Dawson Creek
    Established Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
    • Delta Cabinet Saw

Manitoba Maple and Willow box (prototype #3) PIC cross posted

Added an inch to the overall length of the box, narrowed and lengthened the legs

Link to prototype #2
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=32657

Critiques welcome

Brian

• Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

It's beautiful but I also like prototype #2.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
      John Hunter

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

Excellent work! Scaled up, it would make a nice table too.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

Hmmmm...... pretty danged spiffy. I think I were to choose though, I'd give this one to my best friend and keep the walnut and maple one for my girlfriend or keep it for myself. Both are great but I guess I'm into a "contrast phase" in my life. Pat
          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I think in this case the more subtle difference in wood tones is more appealing to the eye. Softens the change at the joints. Both are beautiful work!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• mschrank
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2004
              • Hood River, OR, USA.
              • BT3000

That's some really nice work! That beer can in the third pic tripped me up for a sec....thought you guys had some really BIG cans up North!
              Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• HarmsWay
                • Nov 2003
                • Victoria, BC
                • BT3000

Love it Brian! Nice work.

Bob

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Pappy
                  I think in this case the more subtle difference in wood tones is more appealing to the eye. Softens the change at the joints. Both are beautiful work!

Double ditto that! Beautiful combo of woods.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• boblon
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Florida, USA.

These are very interesting. I must admit I was caught off guard when I saw the beer can. There is a lot of fine (and delicate) work in those small pieces. I don't know if you had the skills before these pieces, or have picked some up building these, but I sure would think doing these has honed the skills you had.

As far as preferences, I kind of like the contrasting one, but the more I look at this one, it kind of grows on me.

Either way though it's impressive work. The fit and finish is awesome !!

BobL.
                    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Like most of the posters, I prefer this one. I think the lines are a little smoother with the longer legs. I like the wood choice in this one, too.

Nice, creative work in both cases. Including the can is a good idea--it gives us an idea of the scale. The pics without the can I thought the box was chest-sized.

Being from St. Louis, I'd choose a different beer can, but that's just me...

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I... like GS did not realize that this is a minature. A gentleman at another site posted something similar in minature and until I saw the 2nd pic with a pair of eye-glasses on top, thought it was full size. He rolled some drawer faces and connected with dovetails that I may consider on a chest of drawers that I will start tomorrow. :>)

First... excellent work and I am amazed at how you guys can do this in minature. I cannot even imagine the eye-sight and steady hands required to do the intricate work. Maybe at one time, but not at this stage.

I do have a question... have you considered building these beauties in full scale or is intricacy of the minature scale what really draws you to it in the first place? Just curious as to why things tick the way they do!

Again congratulations on a fine piece of work...

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Wonderful work Brian, would make a great jewelry box w/o the legs too!
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Brian in Dawson Creek
                            Established Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
                            • Delta Cabinet Saw

Thanks for the comments every one, I appreciate your thoughts. I’ll tell you guys one thing … either you are all pulling your punches on the critiques or you are all just a bunch of way too nice folks. I cross posted this on a few forums looking for suggestions on improving the design and on a few forums I got it with both barrels. I thought for sure one of you would mention “proportion” as in proportionally in may not be quite right. In any event I’m making my third box of this design and am trying to improve the proportion of the box to the legs … I hope to show you in a week or so. I might be wrong in try to improve the proportions as maybe I’ve been looking at this design to long, maybe you guys are right and I’m beating a dead horse.

Too answer SARGE’S question about building this box full size … first I’ll give all you members one thing … on all of the other forums I don’t think anyone mentioned building this full size but it came up a few times here. SARGE I have a small basement shop and wrongfully assumed I had to build small projects so boxes came to mind, I’ve build a few full size projects but always come back to boxes. But building this full size really has me intrigued, but to be honest I really wouldn’t know how to do it or where to begin. The legs I don’t think would be a problem but the box or body part has me stumped … I’m thinking bent lamination or veneering and I have no experience with either or these methods … maybe one really really big band saw.

And what about the body … if you keep the proportion of the box would you build drawers into it or not … another hurdle to work on. Seasonal wood movement would become more of an issue and on and on but if anyone one has ideas I’m certainly all ears and more than willing to pursue.

Thanks for your time all.

Brian

Comment

• boblon
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Florida, USA.

Originally posted by Brian in Dawson Creek
                              Thanks for the comments every one, I appreciate your thoughts. I’ll tell you guys one thing … either you are all pulling your punches on the critiques or you are all just a bunch of way too nice folks. I cross posted this on a few forums looking for suggestions on improving the design and on a few forums I got it with both barrels. I thought for sure one of you would mention “proportion” as in proportionally in may not be quite right. In any event I’m making my third box of this design and am trying to improve the proportion of the box to the legs … I hope to show you in a week or so. I might be wrong in try to improve the proportions as maybe I’ve been looking at this design to long, maybe you guys are right and I’m beating a dead horse.

Brian
                              Got it with both barrels? I know a lot of the other forums are less than friendly and I've don't understand it. Most of it I think is that being anonymous people feel free to vent. What their venting I don't know. Most likely they couldn't do any better and they get some perverse joy out of it. Don't know, don't care.

That's one of the things I really like about this place. It's like sharing with friends because the folks here take the time to consider a lot of things besides trying to nit pick something or look for something to flame.

But by the same token I don't think folks here pull their punches. There is often constructive criticism offered, but once again, folks take time and care to ensure their comments come across as just that, constructive.

Personally, I don't care what they say. I really like this project. Not only the aesthetics of the outcome, but there is some admiration for the work that went into it. I also tend to look at projects posted and think, now how would I go about making this, and what kind of effort would it take and a whole new level of appreciation appears.

I don't know if the proportion could be better or if it would improve the appearance, or if it doesn't match the golden mean or not. I just like it and I think the craftsmanship of fitting those legs in there and the joinery is outstanding. Especially when you consider the size of the project and how a little error in fit will be magnified.

Bottom line is I stand by my comments, I love it.

Sorry that's as uppity as I can get

Bobl.
                              "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

Working...