^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Holy crud, Lonnie, that's beautiful! I think I just found a winter project.
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

WOW! very very impressive! its pretty cool on how they get the pattern. i am starting to want to get a lathe .

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
          • May 2003
          • Orlando, FL, USA.
          • BT3000

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. Chef David was floored. So were our dinner guests (gloat).

If you want to make one, the instructions in the two links were really good.

Here are some things that I learned:

> Make a jig to cut the blank at a consistant angle. My cuts were at 15deg to the fence. I ran my jig against the fence instead of in the miter slots shown on the pic. Easier to adjust for the best placement of the cut, plus my BT3000 doesn't have slots. Note: don't move the fence until you have made and glued all cuts.

> Laminations that are the same thickness as the saw blade will make the laminations cross perfectly at the ends. I could only plane the maple inserts down to 1/8, not 3/32" to match my thin kerf WWII. It was close, but caused a little misalignment. (I wonder if using miter slots and flipping the jig as noted in the photo would make wider laminates mate up on the ends. dunno)

> Glue the laminated blank square and flat. Clamp two straight boards to two adjoining faces of the blank to keep it straight. I glued two jointed boards to make a right angle trough. Protect with waxed paper.

> I used TBIII. 60-min epoxy would be good, too.

> Run a clamp across the ends of the blank when gluing to squeeze the two wedges until the laminates cross with no offset.

> I don't have a cone center, so I turned a shaft to fit into the drilled hole on the tailstock end of the blank that pressed against my live center to turn the barrel and the handles.

> Make a scrap wood prototype.

- Lonnie
          OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

Working...