• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmf2000
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Irricana, Alberta, Canada.

MIDI Keyboard Workstation

The oldest son moved out this past weekend so we now have an empty room. I decided to make a new workstation to host my keyboard and music making gear. It's by no means finished since I need to create a top for it to hold my speakers, monitor, and sound modules. However, I thought it was worth sharing now. I used the Veritas 32 Cabinet Making system from Lee Valley Tools. You can go to my website to get more details about how it was built.

www.responsetolight.com

Mostly this was (useful) exercise to practice using the new jig.

UPDATE: October 14, 2007

I have finished (or largely finished) my MIDI Workstation. Initially I thought that the scale might be off but it looks great in the spot that I designed it for and it so much easier to work on the computer AND play music in this setup.

Joinery consisted of biscuits, dowels, pocket holes, and screws.

As I have already mentioned, I made a boatload of mistakes along the way but I'm pleased with the end result.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pmf2000; 10-14-2007, 03:45 PM. Reason: UPDATE: October 14, 2007 - Finally Finished!
    Visit my site for more woodworking and home renovations projects. www.responsetolight.com
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

That's really great...it'll be a luxury to have a custom workstation where you can unleash your musical creativity!
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

So basically this is dowel assembly jig? Does it handle euro hinge installation as well?

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Nice looking project!

Oh, and I like the implied tearful "Goodbye, son. Don't let the door hit you in the butt as I take over your room!"

JR
        JR

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Nice looking piece of furniture.
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

A very nice AND a very interesting project.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• pmf2000
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2005

You're right

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
              So basically this is dowel assembly jig? Does it handle euro hinge installation as well?
              It is a dowel assembly jig that specializes in Euro based cabinet assembly. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42311
              Visit my site for more woodworking and home renovations projects. www.responsetolight.com

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Cool -- looks like we have a lot in common I really like the idea of being able to tap out a bumping bass line with your left hand while feeding some stock into the band saw behind it with your right.

Here are some other home studio and rack building resources that I've written in case anyone else is interested in a similar project. (Disclosure: Note that my site does include Google ads and Amazon product links.)
                • How to Build a Studio Rack - A step-by-step tutorial for building a custom studio keyboard stand and equipment rack on a tight budget with seventh-grade-shop-class skills, and without having to handle any dangerous saw blades.
                • All About Racks and Rack Rails - Everything you need to know about racks and rack rails for your home studio or pro audio studio -- especially if you're considering building it yourself.
                • Custom DIY Studio Rack & Workstation Tips, Tricks & Ideas - Lots of helpful tips, tricks and ideas you can use when building your own custom studio furniture

Are the shelves 19" racks? Looks like the keyboard might slide out -- does it?
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

That is a cool cabinet, but the more important question is, what model of ThinkPad is that?
                  Joe

Comment

• pmf2000
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2005

It's a small world...

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                    Cool -- looks like we have a lot in common I really like the idea of being able to tap out a bumping bass line with your left hand while feeding some stock into the band saw behind it with your right.

Here are some other home studio and rack building resources that I've written in case anyone else is interested in a similar project. (Disclosure: Note that my site does include Google ads and Amazon product links.)
                    • How to Build a Studio Rack - A step-by-step tutorial for building a custom studio keyboard stand and equipment rack on a tight budget with seventh-grade-shop-class skills, and without having to handle any dangerous saw blades.
                    • All About Racks and Rack Rails - Everything you need to know about racks and rack rails for your home studio or pro audio studio -- especially if you're considering building it yourself.
                    • Custom DIY Studio Rack & Workstation Tips, Tricks & Ideas - Lots of helpful tips, tricks and ideas you can use when building your own custom studio furniture

Are the shelves 19" racks? Looks like the keyboard might slide out -- does it?
                    Alex,

I actually tried to register on your site! I never could get any of the codes to work. You have some pretty cool plans! The lower cabinets are not 19" but in retrospect I wish I done that (and I half thought before I started building it that I should). The initial plan was to have 19" cabinets on top. I may still do that but they will have a very shallow depth.

The biggest negative factor is the size space I'm going to be putting this in. As with most things, once you've done it you know what to do better next time.

Tim

Comment

• pmf2000
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                      That is a cool cabinet, but the more important question is, what model of ThinkPad is that?
                      lol...it's old! Mostly I was checking for scale to see how much space I have (not nearly enough as it turns out.

I have a Dell D820 which is what I currently use specifically for music making.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

ThinkPads are NEVER too old!!!!! I'm typing this on a TP 600e that was made in 1998. Funny you mention scale, that Dell 820 is a monster (if it's the Latitude, anyway).

Sorry to hijack the thread, that is a pretty cool cabinet.

Joe
                        Joe

Comment

• dkerfoot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Holland, Michigan
                          • Craftsman 21829

I hate to brag, but I am writing this on a T23. Yeah baby, a full 1 MHz PIII running Win2K!
                          Doug Kerfoot
                          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                          KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pmf2000
                            I never could get any of the codes to work.
                            Codes? You mean the access code for the forum? It's "2001" -- it's how I keep the spambots out.

Yeah, I always come up with better ideas along the way, too -- usually right after I make a cut . (It's part of the reason I set up that forum so that people could share some of those ideas.) That's why I ended up with a more modular designs -- so I could change little bits at a time without having to start all over.

I think your design is great. It looks like you have a very comfortable key height for your keyboard, yet you're not really sacrificing a standard desktop height either. Very clever indeed!
                            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by mschrank
                              That's really great...it'll be a luxury to have a custom workstation where you can unleash your musical creativity!
                              I tried "unleashing my musical creativity" once... Everybody I know, and some that I don't, asked me to leash it up again, fence it in, and keep it doped into a coma...

Comment

Working...