• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

2 3/4 years Finally Finished!

Almost 3 years ago i started building a curio cabinet for LOML. I started in December 2004 and had it 90% finished by the end of Janurary 2005. Only neede to buy and install the glass. LOML and I were shopping in one of our towns furniture stores early fall 2004 and walked by a curio cabinet in what looked to be cherry wood. The salesman spied us and after wandering over announced that he could sell it to us for something close to $850.00. We had been wanting one for a few years so I made a few sketches once we got home that day. I figured I could make one for less than $100 lumber in abouts a months worth of weekends. Once I had mine assembled in January I took a few measurements for the glass to finish it. Melissa called a few places and got several quotes for the glass I'd need. I was utterly shocked at the cost of glass. IIRC it would have cost close to $200! There it sat in my way in the shop just waiting until we could afford to buy glass. Life happened and it was far longer than we had hoped before we could afford the glass. During that time Melissa worked for a while at a jewelry store that just happened to close right before our youngest was born and I was able to get plenty of thick display case glass to make the shelves.

Have you ever tried to cut 1/4" thick glass? I did! I made two shelves and then gave up. Sometime later my FiL gave me a window he did not need anymore. It should have been enough glass to finish the sides and then i'd just have to buy glass for the door. It turned out to be modern window glass which is tempered. Have you ever tried to cut tempered glass? I did! It was so hard that my cutter wheel would not even scratch it. I tried a different method and found out what happens. It went Boom!!! Little tiny glass shards all over my shop; so many in fact I am still finding them. Only later did I read up on it and learn that it is not cutable in its tempered form.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I was cleaning the shop and became quite annoyed that I had to keep walking around this 90% done curio cabinet. I decided that I would soon finish it. LOML, our children and I went shopping today to Yakima. Before we left I looked up glass dealers on Yahoo yellow pages. We drove around and found that several of the listed businesses were no longer and all the ones that were had no weekend hours. Bummer! Was starting to feel that I just could not win and would never get this finished and out of the shop. Once we arrived back home I actually thought to search Yahoo yellow pages for glass dealers in our town. Printed that list off and told LOML that I'd return in a while. First place I went to was a dead end... address did not exist! No worries there is a frame shop right up the street that had an open sign. I pulled in there and asked if they cut glass. After the guy said yes I handed him my list and said how much. I could not believe it only $50.00. I said yes, he said, "you want it now?" I said yep! have you ever watched someone cut glass that is really good at it? I did! This guy was simply amazing! He used a poster board as a straight edge, measured twice, scored the glass free hand and snap. I was in awe.

Came home, kissed LOML and headed out to the shop. I still needed to make quarter-round to hold the glass in place. Chucked up my 1/4" radius round over. Gathered a hand full of red oak scraps and made the molding. Found my electric brad/ stapler does not have enough power to drive 5/8" brads into red oak flush! The hardest part was contorting my my hands to hold a nailset in the tight and awkward confines of the cabinet. Finally finished it up about 9:30 pm. I still had to cut two more shelves. This time I scored both sides of the thick glass and it broke a whole bunch easier.

Sorry to tease ya'll but did not have time to take pictures since the shop lighting just will not do this project justice. I will post them Sunday.
    Last edited by Black wallnut; 09-23-2007, 04:06 AM.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • goslin23
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Richmond, TX
    • Rigid TS3650

I have to say that I'm sooooooooo curious to see the results.. hurry up!
    If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Good story. I'll believe it on Sunday when I see the pics!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Pictures. Finish so far is Minwax Provincial Stain. I'm still debating on if I will do a few coats of wipe on poly, or just apply a paste wax. Wood is 100% red oak. I alluded to the fact in the OP that this design was inspired by one I saw in a local furniture store. The top molding and facade captures the top which is glued only at the front and screwed to the sides. The back is a flat panel that was re-sawed. The back, sides and door were made with a rail and stile bit. The sides are joined to the back and face frame with a rabbet and dado joint. The base and top moding design closely matches other red oak furniture that I have made. Total cost less than $150.00, value IMHO based on pieces that I've seen in furniture showrooms is $1095.00 or perhaps a tad more, as the one I saw with a price tag of $900 did not appear to be solid wood. As Jim Boyd suggested in the first topic about this project I think I may need to make a matching grand father clock.

©

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Very nice, Mark! Wonderful proportions - solid looking, without being "heavy" looking, if that makes sense.

Can you share a little about how you made the curved bits on the top?

JR
          JR

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

Looks GREAT!!! You finally got the project finished, the wife is Happy (better be!! ) and now you have room in your shop for another tool!!!
            A WIN WIN situation!!
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by JR

Can you share a little about how you made the curved bits on the top?

JR
              The facade is just stacked moldings. First I made templates and used a router to make each piece. Then a cove bit on one piece and a same radius round over on the other. These were then stacked on a board that matched the top edge profile and had a cut-out on one end. Each side is just a mirror image, hindsight I should have just used a single board and found a better way to attach the finial. Perhaps this picture will help:

©

Comment

• Stan
                • Mar 2004
                • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Looks fantastic Mark! But then, I saw it in 'earlier' stages and knew it would.
                From the NW corner of Montana.
                http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Oh yeah, I remember that. It sure came out nice, Mark. Well done.

Comment

• Hoakie
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Iowa
                    • Craftsman 21829

Simply beautiful. It definitely deserved to be completed.
                    John
                    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Popeye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Woodbine, Ga
                      • Grizzly 1023SL

Well it's about danged time deserter. Start dispatching and you start lying and procrastinating.....and making excuses.
                      Pretty nice work for a traitor though The top makes the piece and you did a bang up job on it. I'd like to try that but I'll wait till you can teach me. Pat
                      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                        John Hunter

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          The facade is just stacked moldings.
                          Oh, I get it now. I didn't understand the stacking idea. Very nice.

JR
                          JR

Comment

• bigstick509
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Macomb, MI, USA.
                            • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Looks great! Worth the long wait, I'm sure.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...