• Show
Clear All
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

First major BT3 project

I have been lurking on this site since I started looking for a saw, but haven't posted much. I finally have a project to show off.

Over the past four years, the LOML and I have been renovating a 50's house we bought out of forclosure. We have redone quite a bit of it, but hadn't done the living/dining rooms until this summer. After repairing the plaster and painting the room, I made a new fireplace mantel and redid the hearth. The old mantel was a very simple 50's piece with shelving on each side that took up too much space and looked very dated. The hearth was nearly flush with the hardwood floor and was poured concrete stamped to look like 12x12 tiles. Where the oak met the concrete , it just butted against it without any type of frame. It just didn't look right. I installed new slate over the concrete and raised it up above the floor and bordered it with 5/4 oak. Along with the new mantel and hearth, we went with a plasma TV and hung it over the fireplace. I moved the electrical outlet up and added a second box for the AV wires. I also routed the AV wires (1 HDMI, 5 component, 1 pair of speaker wires, and one mini stereo extension wire for an IR repeater) though the wall and behind the mantel and into the basement where all of the components are located. I wanted the room to be free of any components, so I bought an IR repeater (can be seen above the TV if you look close) which allows everything to be out of sight of the remote controls.

Anyway, here are a few before and after pics of the fireplace. The before pics were taken the day we closed on the house, so the ugly track lighting was removed right away and the hardwood was refinished before we moved in. The furniture was removed in the after pics to show the fireplace better.

My new BT3100 did a wonderful job on this project. I made the mantel out of poplar and the hearth border from oak. I had a lot of rip cuts on both and it handled them with ease. I ripped the oak at an angle to make a sloped frame, so I had a fully raised blade and the cuts came out clean and straight.

I am now working on another woodworking project in the same room and will then build my AV component cabinet that will hang from the floor joists in the basement.

This board has been great and has really helped me with tool selections and inspiration.
    Last edited by JeffG78; 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM. Reason: Updated links
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Very nice execution and design. It looks great.
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Nice job... and glad you like it here!

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

Looks like you've done a fine job. My wife and I have been renovating for a while too, so I sympathize. Good job!
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
          John Hunter

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Very nice job. Love the idea of the flat screen TV over the fireplace.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

That is some transformation! HGTV would be proud of you. I also like the your choice of wall color. Very nice work.
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Nice work, Jeff! Is the top of the wall curved or is that an optical illusion created by the lighting? Never seen that done before.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• gary
                  • May 2004
                  • Versailles, KY, USA.

Very nice work. How deep are the shelves?
                  Gary

Comment

• mpauly
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • NJ

Very nice. I really like your design choices on the fireplace.

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                      • BT3100

Thanks for the compliments.

Pappy, yes, the walls are coved. The top of the walls are curved and where they meet the ceiling, there is a 1/4" step up. The coving adds character to the room without being too formal. The plaster was in decent shape, but it did need a lot of minor patching and crack repair. I have done many walls and ceilings, but this was the first time I've worked with coved ceilings. WOW, what a pain. Trying to get mud on an inside curve and then sanded smooth takes some patience. It was much harder than I thought it would be.

Lee, The main reason for wall mounting it was to free up floor space for an additional chair. The old TV just didn't fit the room very well. I was a bit worried that the flat screen would be too high for viewing comfortably, but it isn't bad at all. I have it tilted down 15 degrees which helps. One big benefit of being that high is that it can be easily viewed from the dining table at the other end of the room about 25' away.

To get the design for the mantel, I looked online for everything I could find and I went to several local stores that sold custom mantels to look at the construction methods. I knew that with the right tools, I could make one as nice as anything I could buy, but I just had to work out all the fine details to fit in the space I had. Before doing this project, I seriously thought about tearing out the stone fireplace face and starting from scratch. I thought it looked too dated and that it would be tough to make it look attractive. By covering some of it with the wood and adding the slate, I think it is less dominating in the room and now I am really glad I kept it.

I have always liked remodelling and rough carpentry, but I never really had the patience for finish carpentry. I'm starting to really like it now. Of course, it's addictive and now I need to buy more woodworking tools. Let's see, I need a biscuit jointer, a dovetail jig, a second router, a full shop dust collection system to replace the shop vac... The list is endless

Comment

• ssmith1627
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Corryton, TN, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

You did a great job. You'll have something to be proud of for years to come. Very satisfying.

Steve

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • IL, USA.
                          • DELTA 36-675

Looks wonderful! Great job and thank you for sharing!

Best regards,
                          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• enorwood
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22124

Beautifully done!
                            -Earl

Comment

• bigstick509
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Macomb, MI, USA.
                              • BT3100

Thanks for sharing neighbor.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...