• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Work Bench -- Finally ALMOST Completed!

Alright, i think i have it completed to a point where it is eligible to be post here in the "finished projects" section. when i am done listing what still needs to be done, you may think otherwise.

basically, i designed this bench so that i ended up having cantilevers at the base that are approx. 1'-6" long. the bench is finished with gloss finish polyurethane. just put the last coat on this morning on the top and the doors.

the top was done as it is to utilize a 1.5" thick maple counter top that i got from a friend who redid his kitchen island. so the remainder of the top is made up of (2) layers of 3/4" mdf. the edges of the top is trimmed out with 7/8" thick x 2.5" tall hard maple that were mitered at the end to match. the top meansures about 38.5" x 9'-0" long.

the cabinet below is about 24" tall x 30" deep. the cabinet area is divided into three sections:
    • the (4) doors on the left is divided into two sections with an adjustable shelf. this is going to hold most of my tool (w/o cases).
    • the right hand bay holds (4) drawers: (2) are 3" tall and (2) are 7" tall.
    • the left hand bay (which is open) is going to hold two stools that i still have to make.
    there is a 5.5" tall section between the top and cabinet section. that area is going to be used to store hand tools out of the way when using the table top for a project.

the left top cantilever is about 1'-4" and that is where i still have to install a 9" face vice that i got from HF. the 2nd HF 9" modified vice is going to be installed at the end of the table lenght wise at the right side (drawer bay end).

the vertical legs are made out of pine. the outside four are made out of 2x4's and the middle four are made out pairs of 2x4's. the legs were mortised into the bottom frame and into the top plate that supports the table top. the interior legs was connected to the base using biscuits, pocket holes and a recessed mortise connection -- too wierd to explain. i may have some pictures that i could post at a later date if i can find any.

just when i was taking the pictures, i noticed i forgot to put a filler piece between the cabinet doors (there is about an inch wide gap).

some boo boos that you might not see in the pictrues: when making the top, all three pieces were suppose to fit snuggly with no gaps (back in march) but right now there is this big gap that i dont know what to do with (see picture). also when i was mitering the trim around the table top, i messed up the miters and they dont close on two opposite corners. i just left them as is. that is the first time i ever did a miter joint.

you can look in the "my gallery" section of this site and see the bench under construction. i have some pictures there that show the base and the cabinet walls being installed.

here are the pictures:

here is one of the boo boos:

• Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Looks great!

About the gap in the top, how about routing the gap (make it bigger) then put another piece that fits perfectly in it? That's what a friend of mine did to one of his furniture pieces, while quoting "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Somewhere down the road, after you've pounded the snot out of a hundred projects, dripped glue and resin, splattered paint, you won't even remember a couple of tiny gaps. Very nice work!

Comment

• CManinLa
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2007
        • Covington, La.
        • Craftsman 315.218290 (Portable)

Very nice Omar. Things you did right were much more impressive than the few minor 'features' you mentioned.

Did you use a set of established plans or did you design it yourself?

Comment

• sparkeyjames
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Redford MI.
          • Craftsman 21829

Great work. I need one like that myself. About the few boo boo's. Forget em. Fill them in with filler and forget they are there. After a few years worth of use you wont even notice the construction flaws.

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Great stuff Nothing like "finished" MDF to set something like this, off.
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• gad5264
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Columbus, Ohio, USA
              • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Very functional. I like it.
              Grant
              "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                John Hunter

Comment

• hermit
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Somerset, PA, USA.

I think that is one of the best "thought out" workbenches I've seen. I think its great. That space under the top is going to be very handy. I wish I would have done that on mine. Heck, with all the work that went into it, I think I would have abandoned trying to work around that maple top, and just made a solid mdf top. Anyway, it looks great. good job!

Todd

Comment

• Stan
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

In a word...... SWEET!!!!
                    From the NW corner of Montana.
                    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

On second thought, maybe you should send the defective one to me, and start over from scratch...

Comment

• ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

Very, Very nice. I am totally envious of you. That's a very functional looking workbench. Did you follow a plan or just build it on the fly? Nice use of pocket holes on the drawers. I like the mobility of the bench and looks to be built like a tank. Nice finish.
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

Comment

• cork58
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                          • BT3000

Project Table

Very nice! Put a few projects on it and you will never see the flaws in it again! If you put the same detail into your work as you did the table they will be great!
                          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

That is a sweet bench! Bigger than your car! LOL!

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                              • BT3100

thank you very much for all the words of kindness and encouragement. even though there is still some work left to do, it feels like i accomplished something.

anna: that is a great idea. but as far as i have gotten and have never done something like that, i am afraid that i will screw up and ruin the top, so i am going to just leave it alone for now and sooner or later, i wont even see it - hopefully .

uncle cracker: i'll have to find out what the shipping cost is going to be .... and get back to you

CManinLa and Bill: i did dream it up myself. i actually posted a my concepts here at this site a few times. i started out with a different layout, then the maple top came along, and the plan changed again and again. i even did some deflection calcs on the cantilever to make sure they work under service loads - time will tell. at times, it felt that i was way over planning it, but i couldnt help it.

Rod: you inspired the mdf in my table. i will use it in all of my shop furniture! thanks for all the examples.

jeffery: yes it is bigger than my small hyudia. now only if i can install an engine in the stool area, then we were talking

i have the plans drawn in autocad. if anyone wants them, i will be more than happy to send you a copy of it either as a cad file or in a pdf format (for those without access to autocad). just pm or email me at footprintsinconcrete@yahoo.com and i will emial them because i had lots of trouble posting it on this site last time because of the size.

well, thanks once again for all the worm words, it really make me feel good!
                              Last edited by footprintsinconc; 09-03-2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Working...