• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

New Front Door

Here you go. Old door was a raised-panel metal solid one. I had to do a lot of prep on this. I did leave it looking a little distressed. I wanted it to look like has been hanging there 30 yrs and is original to the house. It isn't any smaller than the old door but it looks it. I like that, it isn't this monolithic slab.

If I never hang another door that is not prehung in a frame it will still be too soon.

David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

David,

Doors are so much fun. I have to help someone set a door tomorrow morning. Its great when the framing is square and a nightmare otherwise. Prehung doors only for me

Comment

• mater
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • SC, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
      If I never hang another door that is not prehung in a frame it will still be too soon.
      I am with you on that.
      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Got a prehung standing against the bench in my workroom that I picked up on sale at HD about 3 weeks ago. Keep finding other things that need to be done!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I agree, I hate just changing slabs.

I have a new Thermotru fiberglass front door waiting for me at the door shop.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
            Here you go. Old door was a raised-panel metal solid one. I had to do a lot of prep on this. I did leave it looking a little distressed. I wanted it to look like has been hanging there 30 yrs and is original to the house. It isn't any smaller than the old door but it looks it. I like that, it isn't this monolithic slab.

Davey - Looks like you did a good job. I just finished a front door, not a pre-hung. The only jamb was the 2x that borders the block. To hang a pre-hung in that opening I would have to settle for a 34" door instead of a 36". So, I got to do some chiseling and fitting. My two LEAST favorite tasks are hangin' doors and plumbing. Between those two it's a tossup.

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

Nice job David and you are so right about hanging doors!
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...