• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

14 Day Wedding Present

When LOML and I decided to get married, we had planned to rent a hall for the reception. About 3 weeks before the wedding, we decided why not just have the whole shebang right in our home. Well, we had about 50 people invited, and one friend was a notary, who would marry us. It was a really neat idea, sort of warm and fuzzy, except for the fact that our kitchen was a disaster. By the time we decided to use our home, I had about 2 weeks start to finish before the wedding. I had all the cabinets installed the day before, and was still hanging doors until 2:00 AM. All the upper cabinets are 34" high. All the drawers are 22" and on full extension slides. The pictures aren't that good, had a flourescent light hue to deal with and there were some random spots that don't belong. This was in 2001, and these were taken with a 35mm, and I'm not a good photographer.

The kitchen is on three walls. My wife likes clean looks that are easy to wipe off and she wanted laminate. She doesn't like raised panels (glory be). This is the North view, and there is a pull out trash drawer to the right of the stove.

This is the south view, and the curved cabinet end to the right was done as a design elelent, and to give a more open traffic way. The little curved shelves at the right end of the upper cabinet was to break up some of the monotony and to match the same curved on the West wall.

This is the West wall. The large drawer in the base cabinet in the middle is for the large dog food bags. The two drawers to the right are for tall items like cereal boxes, tall bottles, etc. The curve at the left end of the base cabinet compliments the opening to the kitchen with the adjacent wall (South) cabinets' curve. The little curved shelves in the upper matches the South cabinet also.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Well, I guess there is a reason you're the Cabinetman. That is nice work. I think if someone would have asked if I woulda like flat (slab?) cabinet doors, I woulda said no. But I actually do like it a lot. Kinda looks Scandinavian (the real stuff, nut the Ikea stuff).

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

CM,

I remember the very first pict that you posted and was blown away. Your workmanship is beyond words. You have that special "touch" and "eye" that puts you well into the real "MASTER of the trade" category.
      Now will you help me when I retire to MS?
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

I love those rounded end cabinets.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

the curves are amazing! looks really neat. i bet your wife must have been thrilled when it was all done!

how did you curve the doors (what material did you use for the doors)? and did you laminate the insides of the cabinets aswell?

regards,

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
            how did you curve the doors (what material did you use for the doors)? and did you laminate the insides of the cabinets aswell?

The curved doors were made by kerf cutting plywood. Kerf cutting can be used for just about any radius, and can be made to be laminated with either mica, or veneer. The inside and outside are both laminated.

Comment

• HarmsWay
              • Nov 2003
              • Victoria, BC
              • BT3000

Yeah, for me it's the curved doors that really make the whole thing work. Very nice!

Bob

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

A kitchen remodel is in my future, and if the cabinets will come out even remotely as good looking as yours I will consider myself very lucky. Your work continues to be an inspiration!

Comment

Working...