" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

That is super! I really like the way you did the front/doors with the curves.
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Now *that's* an heirloom. I hope that you inscribed your name and date on the back or bottom somewhere so that someday, future generations will say that, "Grandmother's father made this for her as a Hope Chest back in 2007 - imagine"!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

With the quality and beauty of the projects featured on this forum, rarely does a piece truely make my jaw drop. THIS ONE DID!

Every aspect of the piece, from the sweeping lines of the curves, to the beauty of the Quartersawn Oak, to the darker wood for the pegs, is outstanding.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Wow, Pappy...you made me blush. Thanks for the kind words everyone. The chest was my design but certainly had influence from several other sources. I did sign the bottom and briefly described the origin of the wood, plus I glued a 2007 penny to the bottom.

For inquiring minds, there are a couple of errors that I'll fess up to. 1. The piece is larger than I would have liked...I can't recall ever misjudging the size by such a wide margin. I focused mainly on the box size...added a bit to be sure, then the arched legs and the overhang added even more to the overall, so it's pretty darn big. 2. The thumbnail roundover profile was intended to be added to the bottom edge of the lid, but I simply screwed up and put it on the wrong side. Sometimes screw ups turn out for the better, but I don't think that's the case this time, though it's "ok". 3. This has got to be the poorest finish coat I've ever done. I think the main issue is that I was experimenting with mixtures of BLO/Waterlox/poly and mineral spirits without testing first. The BLO was 3-4 years old and just wasn't drying. The Waterlox was a year old, and I now understand that it doesn't age well either. I'm ready to go back to poly and MS hand wiped!

As seen in the pic below, I'll get the chance to practice building hope chests two more times.

Thanks again.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Knottscott; 07-25-2007, 08:03 AM.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Duff
              Established Member
              • Apr 2007
              • San Antonio, TX
              • Enco 12" RT

Ohhh..... That is SHARP! ! !
              Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

Working...