• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reboot
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Plans for Insulated dog house (beagle)

At my wifes place of work, there is a stray dog that comes around. Well they have been feeding and looking after him. I guess you could say that they sort of adopted him. They asked me if I would donate my time and build an insulated dog house for him. I am just getting into woodworking and need plans to do a good job (I am donating my time to do this). If someone has a set of plans they could donate, it would be appreciated. Would like to build something that would keep him healthy and warm (the winters get pretty cold). Tks in advance.
  • TimInChicago
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2005
    • Chicago, IL, USA.

Reboot, it sounds like your heart is in the right place but I'm afraid I don't have any plans to help you out. However, this is a topic that I have some passion around so I wanted to reply and ask you to please consider contacting a rescue organization so that your wife's new friend can have a proper home.

I've done some research for your area and while I was not able to find a specific Beagle rescue in Nova Scotia, there is a Canada Beagle rescue group that can probably help out...

http://www.beaglepaws.com/

We adopted our Beagle from a rescue here in the states called BREW Beagles - a great group. We think he was a rural dog, probably on a farm or raised for hunting, but is adapting to city life well. If not for BREW, he was two days away from being put down... and he is the perfect pet so it would have been an awful shame. We also live in cold climate in the winter, although probably not as cold, and in my opinion, Beagles should be inside where it is warm.

One last thing, many dogs now have a microchip under the skin on the back of the neck that can be read by a scanner, giving information that might lead to getting the dog back home. A vet or rescue group should have access to a scanner. So, please give it some thought.

Thanks

Comment

• Jim Boyd
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

I can't help with the plans eiter but how about your insulated house? Beagles are nice dogs and don't take up much room on the bed
      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I just googled, and found this, this, this and this.

Heck, you might as well look at this!

Knock yourself out .
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

Reboot,

I'm in the process of building a dog house for my lab/mix. I did a bunch of research a while back, looked at a bunch of plans, and came up with my own design. There are many free plans on the INTERNET. They can be as simple and easy as making a cube with a hole, to much more elaborate (hundreds of hours of work). Might want to design the house to match / blend in with the surroundings.

Here is a link to determine the proper sizes for the dog
          http://tidewaterkc.org/projects/insulated_dog_house.htm

Too big and the dogs body can not keep it warm. I used blue board (Styrofoam insulation) in the walls. Other types of insulation will work.

Do NOT use pressure treated wood if the dog likes to chew on things. The chemicals in the wood can kill the animal. I will be putting 2X4 pressure treated lumber under mine to keep the floor off the ground. The lumber will be far enough under the floor the dog won't be able to get to it.
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Reboot
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2005
            • Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Beagle has new home

Just an update to let you know that the beagle has a new home. One of the workers who works my wife has adopted the dog as her own. He is fitting in quit nicely and is a joy to be around. He is very mild mannered. Thanks for you replies, but most of all for your concern.

Reboot

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

That sounds good. Glad to hear he is fitting in.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

Nice to hear there was a happy ending!!
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

Excellent news! The best move we ever made was adopting Cooper. He has been a real joy and constant companion (can you say velcro????) while I have been laid up with the ankle.
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher
                  http://splash54.multiply.com
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...