• Show
Clear All
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Skinning Knives (pics)

Some friends have a Hunting/Fishing supply store and I did a couple of skinning knives for them to stock to see if they have a market. I ordered 2 Laredo Skinner kits from Texas Knives. If I do more I will not get the kits, only blades. I used a piece of curly Walnut for one knife and Padauk for the other.
    The blades are treated to Rockwell C 58/59, 9" overall length, blade length is 4 3/4", 1" wide and 5/32" thick.
    Question for the hunters. What is a ballpark price range for a knife with a blade of this quality?

Click image for larger version

Name:	laredo kit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	790872

First, using 3/8" thick stock trace the tang onto the stock and rough cut the scale out.

Name:	cut scales.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	790873

then one at a time use the holes in the tang to drill the holes for the brass pins. Then using epoxy glue and clamp the scales to the tang.

Name:	clamp.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	790874

Rough sand to shape,

Name:	rough shape.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	790875

Then final sand/file/cuss to a decent looking and comfortable handle.

Name:	knives1.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	790876

Name:	PaduakKnife.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	790877

Name:	WalnutKnife11.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	790878

Thanks for looking.

k
  • smc331
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • BT3100

Ken,

I don't think you can sell those - so just send 'em to me, and I'll see to it that they are disposed of properly!

All kidding aside, those are absolutely gorgeous. You folks never cease to amaze me...
    Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I don't know what such knives sell for, but those are pretty amazing!

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

No clue what they would sell for, but they sure do look nice!!
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• gad5264
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Columbus, Ohio, USA
          • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Very nice looking set Ken.
          Grant
          "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

That is a nice set of knives Ken. Excellent work.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

Ken,

I do a little hunting but I don't buy custom knives. You can buy what I think is a pretty nice factory knife starting around $50. Some even less. On the other hand, I have seen custom knives well over $100. The difference seems to be reputation mainly and possibly somewhat the steel and handle material. I checked out the source you cite and it seems like a good source of kits. They do not list a lot of information on the blades, however. For the high end knives I've seen they tell exactly what the material is.

Jim

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                John Hunter

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Nicely done, Ken. I don't have a clue what the selling price should be. They are really nice, I love Padauk except the dust seems to bother me more that other wood.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• lcm1947
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Austin, Texas
                    • BT 3100-1

I too have no clue as to the price especially now-a-days but back in my hunting days I owned a couple of pretty good knives. One similar to yours in that it was what I call a hunting knife. To me a skinning knife is much different than what you are showing. I always considered a skinning knife being short and wide especially towards the front of the blade. When skinning you really only use the first inch or two of the blade and it's kind of round like and like I said wide. Anyway I got away from what I was saying. One of the nicer ones I owned was a Puma. Very well thought of back in that period of time. The Puma ran in the neighborhood of $79.00 but that was God, what 30 years ago. Now Puma was supposed to be high quality steel and that's why so expensive. For that period of time $79.00 was a lot of money. Now-a-days I really couldn't tell you. Anyway I mainly just wanted to tell you that those are some fine looking knives. Nice job!
                    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks to all for the nice comments, it's appreciated.

Originally posted by JimD
                      Ken,

I checked out the source you cite and it seems like a good source of kits. They do not list a lot of information on the blades, however. For the high end knives I've seen they tell exactly what the material is.

Jim
                      Hi Jim,
                      All I found about the blade material is that it is 6A high carbon stainless steel, cryo treated to Rockwell C 58/59.A machinest friend says this is a good compromise hardness between being easy to sharpen and maintaining an edge.

Originally posted by lcm1947
                      One similar to yours in that it was what I call a hunting knife. To me a skinning knife is much different than what you are showing. I always considered a skinning knife being short and wide especially towards the front of the blade. When skinning you really only use the first inch or two of the blade and it's kind of round like and like I said wide.
                      I agree about the size/name. Although back when I was hunting all I had for skinning was my Buck pocket knife, I did see others using short fixed blades for skinning.

I'm not too concerned if they sell or not, I want one for a kitchen knife and the daughters have dibs on 2 more for the same use.

These are kinda like turning, quick gradification. About an hour each total time and it's done.
                      I forgot the finish. Natural Danish Oil and using the beal buffs with Tripoli, White Diamond then Carnuba wax.

Thanks again.

Comment

• lrogers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Mobile, AL. USA.
                        • BT3000

Wow, those are beautiful.
                        Larry R. Rogers
                        The Samurai Wood Butcher
                        http://splash54.multiply.com
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• lcm1947
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Austin, Texas
                          • BT 3100-1

Yeah I guess a skinning knife can be anything but that's just what I thought. They are truely nice looking though. If your daughters are married I don't know about giving them one until you see what the husbands think
                          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Brian G
                            • Jun 2003
                            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                            • G0899

Very nice knives, Ken. Feral cats should be very nervous.
                            Brian

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

I do not think cyro treatment is worthwhile. I've seen technical articles on it and tests of rifle barrels and I do not think it does anything. It could be a selling feature, however, not everybody thinks what I think.

I agree that something near Rockwell 60 is a good hard knife blade. It doesn't tell you toughness, however. The other thing to watch our for is if you polish the blade you do not want to get it very hot or you may soften it. It has to be pretty hot, however. The edge is probably all you'd have to be careful with. Of the stainless steels ATS-34 and 440C are good materials. 420 is not so good. 440A and B are OK but not as good as 440C. Cold Steel likes 4116. Any of them could be made hard enough and would hold an edge but the better materials will be tougher at that hardness (less brittle) and thus hold up better. There is also a difference in how easy they are to heat treat (but if you get the blades properly treated and do not get them not enough to change it, you probably do not care).

I think knife handles would be a good way to use up small pieces of nice wood that I hate to throw away. Maybe I'll make one or more.

Jim

Comment

Working...