• Show
Clear All
  • bhornberger
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Webster Groves, Mo, USA.
    • Craftsman 22104

Unique Storage Idea

Found this today surfing my usual sites. Very interesting storage. I don't know how they overcome sag of the treads, but very neat idea.

The lights along the stairs are a neat idea as well.

http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/...d/risers.shtml - This site has some step by step (har har) on how to do this.

Brent
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

That's pretty slick. If I ever had to do a project like that myself, I think I would seriously consider that (assuming you can make it stable enough).

Comment

• jseklund
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006

I would think you could always overcome the sag issue by splitting it into two drawers with one long face? Then the center would sit between the drawers, but it would look like a normal stair still and the two drawers would just roll out together. However, you obviously wouldn't get the same size storage as if you had one big drawer. Or is there a problem with this I haven't thought of?

Maybe metal supports in the center or something? I don't know how I feel about the idea- seems good, but I don't know if I'd do it.
      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

unique storage idea...

Definately that for sure...if you use some 1" or 1&1/4" red oak for the treads
        it will probably never buckle down or break anyway, or get a piece of 1/4" steel plate
        cut to the proper size and and fasten the stair tread to that and install it as normal
        a lot stronger for sure.
        Last edited by eezlock; 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• HarmsWay
          • Nov 2003
          • Victoria, BC
          • BT3000

Originally posted by Jay Keller
          thats a great idea for storage space. I can see a major lawsuit if someone trips over an open drawer......or at least some big medical bills.
          Exactly. I'm all for storage in wasted spaces but that just seems like an accident waiting to happen. I also couldn't see it meeting building codes. Although I'm not sure how you'd word the code to prevent something like that.

Bob

Comment

• jessrice
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006

When i was growing up, a house my dad lived in had similar storage in the bottom three steps, but each step was hinged, and lifted up, the compartments getting progressively deeper each step.

I think that there was a compartment on each side of the middle stringer, but that was 30 years ago, like when i was 5, so i don't recall for sure.

I know it was scary in them, I seem to recall spiders

Probably would not meet code today because of the possibility of catching the lip, or stepping into an open one.

Jesse

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I first saw this idea implemented in the companionway ladders of boats, in which every cubic inch of storage is precious. Probably more trouble and expense than it's worth in most houses, though (very small vacation homes or guest houses might be exceptions). Makes for a good conversation piece, though.

Another, easier way to make use of this space is to use a hinged tread, as Jesse describes. I've seen that done in boats, too.
              Last edited by LarryG; 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM.
              Larry

Comment

• HarmsWay
                • Nov 2003
                • Victoria, BC
                • BT3000

The hinged tread lid makes more sense and can be made safe as well by arranging it so the lid must be held open.

Comment

Working...