X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KenfromCali
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

Although its not finished...

It's been awhile since I was able to make sawdust. I'd moved from Southern California to Charleston, South Carolina last year and things have been slow in the ww'ing department because of all of the "new home" projects and so forth.

Since I live by so much water now (lakes, streams, rivers, ocean) I decided I wanted to make a wood strip sea kayak. I got my plans for a hybrid double kayak. It open like a canoe, but you sit on the floor and paddle like a kayak. The characteristics of this boat are more kayak than canoe too. But I need an open cockpit area for my son, daughter and FIL when they paddle. If they flip, their not going to be ready for an eskimo roll .

This is my first attempt at a strip kayak, but I'm having fun already. I'll be "stripping" it with western red cedar, douglas fir, and purple heart (?) for some accents. The types of wood used doesn't matter. The yak will be fiberglassed and then varnished both in and out when complete.

Anyway, here are some photo's of the forms that I'll begin building the hull and deck on this week. I'll send photo's as I get further along.

The biggest challenge will be to clean out the garage enough to build it. It's 17' 2" long
    Attached Files
    KenfromCali (a.k.a KenH)
  • jgrobler
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Salinas, CA, USA.
    • TS3650

Interesting project, and kayak idea. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Ken...

As JG stated... a kayak should be an interesting challenge. In 35 years I have never built anything that floats. I attempted a jon-boat once, but it was a miserable failure as a jon-boat. But... it did turn out to be probably the "fastest diving submarine" in mari-time history. Probably shouldn't have installed that screen door on it!

A kayak.. sounds good to me and keys my interest. When I retire in 2 years maybe I will attemp a wooden full scale replica of the U.S.S. North Carolina that I love to viist up in Wilmington when I go surf fishing that way. Now that should be a challenge indeed.

Good luck with the "yak" and regards...

Comment

• docrowan
        • Mar 2007
        • New Albany, MS
        • BT3100

I've been interested in building a boat of some sort as well, but haven't found anything that would fit into my current budget, AND my current shop space, AND my current woodworking skills. Oh, and I have to have space to store the sucker in the off season as well. I've kind of shelved the idea until I've expanded all four.

Plans for your kayak look interesting, please keep us posted.
        - Chris.

Comment

• ejs1097
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

That's no small Endeavour. Can't wait to see the finished project in the water but please keep posting your progress.
          Eric
          Be Kind Online

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Very interesting project! Keep the progress photos coming.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• IBBugsy
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Allentown, PA.
              • BT3100

Great Project!! Ditto on posting more photos!!

I made a kayak when I was in High School from a Boy Scout Magazine article. That thing lasted 20 years or so. I'll never forget the "high" I got from doping the canvas. My dad is one of those guys that didn't worry about breathing fumes and we really saturated the air in our garage!
              Dave - Weekend Garage Junkie
              "I'm no physicist but I know what matters" - Popeye

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product.

JR
                JR

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

WOW! Now there's a project. Couldn't find anything easier to do. No really an intereting project.
                  Good luck.
                  May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• bthere
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Alpharetta, GA

I had a friend who built a beautiful canoe. When he was done, he couldn't stand the thought of banging it around against rocks or the shore.

Comment

• ryanps
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Maumee, Ohio
                      • ShopFox W1677

Good luck with your project. I am not sure how to post a link to a previous thread but if you search for "Canoe" you will find a thread of mine from a little while ago. I will also send you a PM with a link to some more pictures. It is a challenging project but well worth it in the end.
                      Ryan

Comment

Working...