• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

First Paying Pen

Here's a picture of the first pen that will actually be sold for a profit. It's for a coworker who wanted a yellow pen, and in a similar style grip to a pen I did before (it's in the first 11 pens thread).

I hope he likes it, but here's a preview for you guys.

Edit: The one in the middle is the customer's pen. It's made from Yellowheart. The top is boacote, and the bottom is something I wanted to try- a mix of the Yellowheart and Boacote.
    Attached Files
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Congratulations on the sale! Good looking pens. It comes down to what the customer wants when making sales. I personally don't like bulb end (my description) design myself but have a friend and a couple of family members who do. So I make a few of those occasionally. I bought two such pens made in pecan - back home with me for other famiy members. The wood came from a tree in my mom & dad's home.
    Last edited by leehljp; 05-14-2007, 06:35 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Congrats on your first sale.

Comment

• ejs1097
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

They look great, don't see how he wouldn't like it, good job. I really like the way you glued up the 2 species on an angle.
        Eric
        Be Kind Online

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

I really like your "experiment". The contrasting woods are sharp.
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

All three look nice, but the mixed wood one is particularly striking.

Comment

• DonHo
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Shawnee, OK, USA.
              • Craftsman 21829

Very nice. I too like the mixed woods. I haven't tried that yet but maybe I should, it makes a striking pen.

DonHo
              Don

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

Hopefully that will be the first of many you sell. They are very nice looking pens.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I was felling a little bad about charging him $20 at first... I thought hey- for $20 I bought 3 kits and enough scrap Boacote and Yellowheart to make a total of 5 or 6 pens.... But when I handed him the pen he asked, "How much is the pen again?" I had initially said $15-$20, but I responded "I'm not sure, how did I say it would be for?" His response was "I thought we agreed on $30-$35..." At that point, I just made a face and was like "No way, I'm not charging you $35!"

It's odd, the value is all in the beholder. He would have been happy paying $35, and I would have been happy getting $15. But I got $20 and we both win! It's just odd making a profit off of something I enjoy so much...

Edit-
                  One thing I was trying to do with the third pen was to have two highly contrasting woods in one pen. But I didn't want it to be a simply square job if butting one cube to another. I drilled the blank, then cut the 45 in the blank with the miter on the TS. I then inserted the tub, and used the CA glue to hold the blank together, while clamping the ends together and the middle as flush as possible. The boundary came out well, I think. The biggest problem I have with the pen was with the dark dust from sanding get stuck in the larger pores of the Yellowheart... It made the pen take on a muddy yelloe type of feel. Glad I used all new rags with making the all-Yellowheart pen!
                  Last edited by BigguyZ; 05-14-2007, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

It's odd, the value is all in the beholder. He would have been happy paying $35, and I would have been happy getting $15. But I got $20 and we both win! It's just odd making a profit off of something I enjoy so much...
                    If you're really doing this for fun, then so long as you're recovering your costs it probably doesn't matter. However there's no reason to be ashamed of charging what the market will bear, especially for something customers want rather than something they "need". If he really likes the pen and word gets around, you could find yourself quite busy, in which case your time becomes extraordinarily valuable.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Almost an echo of everyone else. Not my favored style of pen to use but some nice work. The dual wood pen really stands out.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• GPA61
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                        • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Very nice.
                        Claudio

Comment

• big tim
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                          • SawStop PCS

Beautiful!
                          And a bargain at $20.

Tim
                          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• bigstick509
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Macomb, MI, USA.
                            • BT3100

Very Nice

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Ed62
                              The Full Monte
                              • Oct 2006
                              • NW Indiana
                              • BT3K

Originally posted by jackellis
                              If you're really doing this for fun, then so long as you're recovering your costs it probably doesn't matter. However there's no reason to be ashamed of charging what the market will bear, especially for something customers want rather than something they "need". If he really likes the pen and word gets around, you could find yourself quite busy, in which case your time becomes extraordinarily valuable.
                              I'm a little late on this thread, but I fully agree with that. If you want to start a business, don't sell too low. If you take into account every penny it costs to make them, you'll probably find out it costs more than you thought. Someone has to pay for tools, etc.

BTW, I really like the contrast in that one pen. Nice!!

Ed
                              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...