• Show
Clear All
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

Wind spiral

This isn't really finished yet. I saw something like this at fair/craft thing down here and liked it. Looked like an excellent way to use up cutoffs the normally would go into the trash. I'm gonna shoot it with lacquer tomorrow.

Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Nice!!! Can you give a little detail on it? Does each stick spin, or does the whole thing move as one ( lean toward the latter). How did you attach them together?? Any thing you would do different? Dimensions?
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by TheRic
      Nice!!! Can you give a little detail on it? Does each stick spin, or does the whole thing move as one ( lean toward the latter). How did you attach them together?? Any thing you would do different? Dimensions?
      Sorry, I know better
      This one is 3/8" x 3/4" x 7" sticks drilled in the center. About 27" tall. Most of the scrap in this is from a chunk of treated 1x. The whole thing is clamped on a piece of 1/4" all thread. Tighten it down to the point that you can just twist the pieces and work your way down and then tighten the nuts alittle more. I ground the top of the allthread flat and found some small split ring key chain looking things in the craft dept (around ear ring parts) at Walmart. One #1 swivel snap and heavy fishing line and it's ready to hang. Since I saw something like this at the Crawfish festival I've seen painted ones and all sorts of variations on the net. Pat

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Far out. That photo makes it look 5' tall, BTW. I wonder whether dimensional changes in the lumber will cause the threaded rod to loosen over time.

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by cgallery
          Far out. That photo makes it look 5' tall, BTW. I wonder whether dimensional changes in the lumber will cause the threaded rod to loosen over time.
          Might, but a tweak with a couple of 7/16" wrenches should make quick work of it. I really don't see these as something will last for years and years but the total cost not counting your time runs about $3 including finish. Now that I think about it, this would be a great project for me and my grandson. Gramps cuts the parts, Lance drills the holes and does the assembly. He and his daddy hang it outside his window. Dang, I like it Pat

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Careful Pat. Those things sell like wildfire at craft shows/flea markets. You made have stumbled into a full time job.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

Not exactly "Fine woodworking" but I can see some fun in it for awhile. Won't toss so many scraps of hardwood for a bit. Pat

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

My first words after seeing it were, "what is it and what useful purpose does it serve? If I want wind spiraling, I can just go seek out the eye of a tornado"...

The lovely lady that lives at my house first words were, "It's beautiful and I want one for the deck"!

So Pat... ya can just kiss my southern hinny from over there in Woodbine, GA., which is well in range of over here in Lawrenceville for posting the pic and giving the "boss" new ideas of what I will be doing down the road.

OK... so it looks really nice.. whatever a wind spiral is? ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Regards from L'ville...

Comment

• Popeye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Woodbine, Ga
                  • Grizzly 1023SL

The lovely lady that lives at my house first words were, "It's beautiful and I want one for the deck"!

So Pat... ya can just kiss my southern hinny from over there in Woodbine, GA., which is well in range of over here in Lawrenceville for posting the pic and giving the "boss" new ideas of what I will be doing down the road.

Regards from L'ville...[/quote]

Sarge, ya just can't let them look over your shoulder when you're on net. See what it get's ya?? Pat

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

A good way to use cutoffs. If my daughter sees it then I will be trying to do one.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Copiague, New York, USA.

Pat, Even fooling around, You do good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday!!!!!!! come Monday.
                      It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very neat!
                        John Hunter

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Popeye
                          I ground the top of the allthread flat and found some small split ring key chain looking things in the craft dept (around ear ring parts) at Walmart. One #1 swivel snap and heavy fishing line and it's ready to hang.
                          I really like it. Can you elaborate on how you attach the snap ring to the
                          all-thread. Maybe a close-up?

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                            Bandsaw Box Momma
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by lrogers
                            Careful Pat. Those things sell like wildfire at craft shows/flea markets. You made have stumbled into a full time job.

Around here those things and other things that hang in the wind and spin and turn and are nice to look at sell like crazy. But of course we have the wind blowing around here75% of the time.

Pat I like the one that you did, it is bigger than the one that my parents had for years. The one they bought was about 12 inches long. And as usual nice job on it.
                            Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Popeye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • Woodbine, Ga
                              • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                              I really like it. Can you elaborate on how you attach the snap ring to the
                              all-thread. Maybe a close-up?

Thanks,

Paul
                              Yep, found the little mini key ring looking things with the ear ring parts at WalMart.

Pat

Comment

Working...