Clear All
  • Duff
    Established Member
    • Apr 2007
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Enco 12" RT

Mission-like Furniture +

TV Table-

My first project I decided to do for the wife just shy of two years ago was a table to hold our television. There was a very nice design in Wood magazine, but it didn't quite fit what we wanted. I adapted it! Initially it had four drawers (two top, two bottom) for holding videos & such. We wanted to be able to hold our DVD/Cable boxes in it so I took them to the garage and measured allowing for 3/8" wiggle room. Final product is this:

Entry Table-

I couldn't leave well enough alone and she comes to me literally 5 days before Mothers day with her doe-like eyes asking "Can you build me this?????" Can't say no! Got about 75% done inside of 3 days then hit the wall! It sat there in my garage for about 14-15 months. BIG WALL. During it's time sitting there, we had a flood and waterlogged about 2" of the garage floor. Guess where I had this sitting. Whole lot of repair work later, I ended up w/this. Also from anothe magazine (I believe Woodsmith) I didn't like the design again. Initially it had four pockets up top and two below. I thought it too wide for our use so I made it three wide and centered the bottom two. Final product is this:

Entry Mirror-

Decided a few days after finishing the entry table above, we needed a mirror too. Went to the local Goodwill and saw two mirrors for sale for $$10.00. Had to get them. Figured if necessary, cut the mirror to fit. Rethought and simply designed my own after the style of the two pieces above. Grabbed some graph paper, measured the mirrors and designed around the size of the mirror as-is. Oddly enough and I do mean oddly, the mirror finished is exactly (44.5") the same width as the entry table (44.5"). Tell me this wasn't meant to be! Final results-

Picture Frame-

I had a buddy retiring after 24 years of service to the Navy and he had some certificates to frame. I didn't want to use generic Wal-Mart frames, so I grabbed some scrap wood from the garage, made measurements to the certificates, learned to cut my own matting custom sized for the certificates and designed the frame around the matting. End product:

Command Bell Frame-

Just started & finished this up yesterday inside of about 8 hours.

Was already existing, but made of pine and not protected, it was extremely weathered! Stripped it down w/60 grit, 120, then 180 & 220. Cleaned it up w/mineral spirits, threw on some cherry finish for color. Three coats of poly wipe-on later and some black spritzed can-paint:

Thats what I do for fun.
    Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Really nice work, Duff

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Excellent work on all of them, Duff.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

They all look very nice. Good work.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

Very very nice work. Pat
          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Excellent work! I can't decide which I like better.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Duff
              Established Member
              • Apr 2007
              • San Antonio, TX
              • Enco 12" RT

Originally posted by lrogers
              Excellent work! I can't decide which I like better.
              My personal favorite so far is the mirror. I think it's because I did it from scratch, made my own plans, got the deal on the mirror-glass and the size-match w/the table below.

Thank you all!
              Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• Tom H
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2006

That's a lot of great looking work. The Entry mirror and table are things I definitely need in the house.

Tom

Comment

• charger1966
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Amsterdam, New York
                  • Shopsmith 10ER (1948),BT3100 New to me January 2007

Pat ,Very nice work on all those .
                  I really liked the bell.

Keep Making that Sawdust
                  Lance

Comment

• ejs1097
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Looks like you've been having lots of fun. Outstanding craftsmanship on all your pieces. It's amazing what a little elbow grease will do on that bell.
                    Eric
                    Be Kind Online

Comment

• Duff
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • San Antonio, TX
                      • Enco 12" RT

Originally posted by ejs1097
                      It's amazing what a little elbow grease will do on that bell.
                      Thank you. Now for the bell, I'm active Navy and once a year, we advance some of our First Class Petty Officers (E-6 rank) to Chief Petty Officer (E-7), well, some of them will get to polish the bell itself soon!

Tom mentioned the table & mirror, I forgot to add the coat rack I have behind my door. Don't know if I've got any shots of it, but the style matches again.

Pappy, saw you're just up the road in SM. Looked through your photo album last night and I'm digging the garage! Got plans for a dual tablesaw island. One saw for cross-cuts & such, the other dedicated to dados.

Comment

• warrenp
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Kentucky, USA.

That is some mighty fine work. Like you, one of the things I enjoy most is adjusting existing plans to fit our decor.

Warren

Comment

• John Hunter
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                          • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                          John Hunter

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

Very nice work. I'm not sure which I like best, but they're all great!

Ed
                            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Duff
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • San Antonio, TX
                              • Enco 12" RT

Sword Display Case (Oak as usual)

Thank you all! I was looking through page 2 of the finished projects and saw Russianwolfs Aquarium stand and such, then gandered through his photo album and it reminded me of another project I had done so here that is too. One of our recruiters did extremely well in January so the command asked me to build this. They didn't expect anything fancy other than a couple pieces of wood to hold the sword but I finished with this by using the scrap I had in my garage.

Comment

Working...