• Show
Clear All
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Glass table - WIP

Good day

The title is glass table but, actually, I'm just changing the top according to the last order of my wife (ok, I also love to do it)...

I built the table some 8 years ago while living in Japan.
    It's made of Luan, 23" x 23" and stained 5 years later.
    The top (frame) is Oak 1¼" thick 4" wide and 25" x 25", I'm using the same stain and hope that it will fit somehow to the stained Laun.

Now, I'm painting the frame but, because of the weather the drying time between the layers is very long (so was the gluing and staining).

The design is that a plywood will sit inside the frame, and on top of the plywood, ¼" glass.
    Between the glass and the plywood will come "something" that I cannot tell you (by order) and you shall have to wait and see the finished top.

Regards
    niki

• Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

That's going to be nice, niki. I'm anxious to see what goes under the glass.

One question tho, why is R2D2 sitting in the bucket??? ;-D

Ken

Comment

• niki
      • Nov 2006
      • Poland
      • EB PK255

Thank you Ken

I'm now painting and soon we shall both know what will come under the glass...and how it will look...

The R2D2 is my pet so, I just "lifted" it up to see the world better
      It is dedicated to the TS and removes all the saw dust (clean floor).

niki

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Niki, you are the jig master! I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing all
        the handy jigs like your innovative featheroard with wheels. Good looking
        so far.

Paul

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Excellent, Nikki! I love all the pics you post. They sure make things easier to understand.

But I have a question, if you don't mind. I noticed in the pic where you are jointing to make the same size workpieces, the workpiece is between the bit and the fence. Is that the way you normally do it? I always thought it was best/safest to keep the workpiece on the other side of the bit. Now, that ceretainly doesn't mean I've got it right on that. Just curious.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• niki
            • Nov 2006
            • Poland
            • EB PK255

Thank you

Ed
            It's not the normal way to work on router table but for me, it's the only way that I know and can (also easiest and fastest) to make all the pieces same width exactly.
            That's the reason that I use iron bars that the first one is sharpen like a chisel and in case of push back it will stick into the wood. I also use strong gripping push blocks and stand behind the fence (I posted it somewhere) and remove only 0.004" at each "shave".

I think that it's a matter of ones choice to use such a method or not.
            You can see on the Internet WW shows, that the guy is working on the TS without a splitter/riving knife and/or without the blade guard and removing the off-cuts with his hand less than 1" from the spinning blade it's not the correct or normal way and I would never do it but they do...

Another example is the "Grrriper" That will not "cross the pond" to Europe because it is considered so unsafe (and personally, I would never touch it) but many guys find it very useful tool (btw, I made something like the Grrriper and when my hand was over the blade...lucky that I was wearing the brown pants that time... I just pressed the "Stop" button).

So, it's like this guy that came to the customs and declared that he has "Birds food" and when the customs officer tolled him "hey it's coffee" he replied "well, they want they eat - they don't want, they don't eat but, for me, it's birds food"...

Regards
            niki

Comment

• lrogers
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mobile, AL. USA.
              • BT3000

It was hard to see the table top. After looking at the pictures of the jigs I was drooling and my eyes were watering! Niki, your jigs and pictorial are awesome. Oh, the table was excellent too!
              Larry R. Rogers
              The Samurai Wood Butcher
              http://splash54.multiply.com
              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• ejs1097
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Nice Work....I really like your shop and jigs. the corner braces are nice. As is the 45 sled.
                Eric
                Be Kind Online

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Ed: Note that in niki's jointing setup, the feed direction is opposite to what is normal on a router table. This makes it a somewhat less risky operation than it would otherwise be since the rotating bit will not try to yank the workpiece out of your hands.

niki: Great work as usual, but I will confess to being more entranced by your bench-grinder-as-disc-sander rig. Never thought of that. Having now seen it, it's so bleedin' obvious it hurts ...
                  Larry

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Nikki,

Thanks very much for the reply. That clears up my question.

Originally posted by niki
                    .lucky that I was wearing the brown pants that time
                    That's hilarious! But probably true enough.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• niki
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Poland
                      • EB PK255

Thank you for your kind words

Irogers
                      All the jigs are posted in detail, in this post I'm just showing that I also use them from time to time...

LarryG
                      I'm feeding in normal direction, that means, the cutter is biting into the fed wood.
                      What you see on the 5th pic with the text "Jointing to get the same width" is the starting point and I feed to the right (of the pic). The iron bars are just replacing the fence and the wood is guided on the straight edge.

The bench grinder is very "old" in the garage, I did not post it because I did not think that it's interesting. the "wheel" is 1/2" plywood that I made it on the table saw using sled and pivot screw, so it does not vibrates when turning. This grinder is only 180W but I would like some 350~400W (1/2 HP) one.

Ed
                      I was not joking (well, kind of) with the "brown pants", it really scared the $#!@ out of me...

Regards
                      niki

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by niki
                        I'm feeding in normal direction, that means, the cutter is biting into the fed wood.
                        Yes, I understand. I should have qualified "normal" to mean "when the bit is buried in the fence." When you put the workpiece between the fence and bit as your picture shows, you have to reverse the usual right-to-left feed direction used with the bit buried in the fence in order to get the same rotational relationship between the bit and the wood.
                        Larry

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by LarryG
                          Ed: Note that in niki's jointing setup, the feed direction is opposite to what is normal on a router table. This makes it a somewhat less risky operation than it would otherwise be since the rotating bit will not try to yank the workpiece out of your hands.
                          Sorry Larry. I didn't see your post before. Yes, I understand what you're saying. It's just that I haven't seen pieces being routed like that before. But I'm sure there's a lot of things I haven't seen. I'm just a rookie.

Ed

Comment

Working...