• Show
Clear All
  • movnup
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Seattle
    • BT3000

Lumber Rack

I wanted to post something that shows I actually build things sometimes instead of fixing things that got wrecked as has happened my last two weekends. The idea came from leftover metal parts I had from five vertical storage racks I got for free from Craigs List. The lumber from the shelves was used for building the sound enclosure for my PC air compressor (pictures coming soon, it's being painted) and this stuff I was going to recycle. The whole project was made with esentially two tools that I recently purchased with advice from the BT forum - a Bosch jig saw and a Makita impact driver.

Total parts were 12 - 3/8 x 2 1/2 bolts w/ nuts & washers, 12 - 3/8 x 4 1/2 lag bolts, one can of kilz spray primer, and two cans of .99 cent Borg gloss black spray paint. Total cost of project to get my scrap lumber off the floor out of my way and future "real wood" organized - $18 bucks !!!

You need to think outside the box a tad when you have to share your shop / 2.5 car garage with family cars, skis, bikes, soccer balls, boat stuff, etc. In Seattle they don't have basements due to earthquakes so this area also houses the furnace, H2O heater, a refrig / freezer, storage so it is not what I considered part of the "shop".

There are four hanging fixtures with three horizontal shelves on each spaced 32" O.C. as follows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lumber Rack 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	790293

This shows a closer version - the net net net is room to hold a 12 inch wide by 10 foot long board, six inches between each horizontal bracket with three slots on each side. I still need to do a little bit of touch up paint from the installation yet and also finish the touch up on the complete garage / shop project so please excuse the mess as wires are hanging, shelves are partially primed etc as it's probably a couple weeks out yet of being completely done (besides the expoxy floor).

Click image for larger version

Name:	lumber rack 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	790294

This last picture shows the almost completed repair of my ceiling from hitting my gas line last weekend (hanging that yellow hook for my kid's bike). I don't enjoy working with metal much but it was a mental challange to make something very usable on the cheap and it also continued my quest to build a legitimate woodworking shop one step at time.
    Attached Files
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Nice idea and very well done.
    ken

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

great idea!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

I like it! Simple and effective.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Very nice storage system.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

Looks good and sure looks like a great use of space.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning movnup...

I assume you didn't rupture the gas line as I didn't hear any loud explosions coming from over towards Seattle. Be careful!

Nice idea on grabbing un-used space where it exist and putting it to work. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do or it won't get done. ha.. ha...

Regards...
              Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2007, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• xli1
                Established Member
                • May 2006
                • Big Boston Area
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

That's great idea. I hope I have enough space to store my lumber.
                http://woodworkingdiy.googlepages.com

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Wise use of space, and an excellent job of putting it together.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• John Hunter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                    • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                    John Hunter

Comment

Working...