She said, "Let there be chairs".. and there were chairs!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

She said, "Let there be chairs".. and there were chairs!

Thirty five years of taking a pile of raw wood.. designing a box and either taking away in appropriate areas.. or adding to it to attain something of use. The early Queen Anne design of yester-year is "gone with the wind" and sits in a house beside Atlanta Country Club with my "ex". I was not that fond of Queen Anne personally anyway. Beautiful to look at but much too formal for a country boy at heart. The same can be said of some women! :>)

So... in the 21st year in the 21st century of her reign, Miss Lisa said, "let there be chairs".. and there were chairs! The excuse bin was running on empty, no timely natural disasters or family circumstances that would block or delay. Justification for many years accumulation of heavy iron was expected to be delivered.

The lone solace is that as I, the reigning monarch has a fondness for casual living and I could keep it simple on a first attempt (an hopefully last attempt). After a trip to the library and my old grade-school, a design lept out from behind a burning bush and was noted on pad from memory. A table design to fit our life-style was drawn up also with fond memories of aunts and uncles at dinner on the farm and simplicity of life in those days.

Chairs...........
    Indonesian rubber tree (para-wood) recovered from several pallets recovered from part time work that were sold to me for $2 each. Cost total $10

Table............
    White oak shorts left over and a generous $1 a board foot sale of culled early wood white oak that were destined for a fire-place. With a few design tricks the cull can be made both stable and attractive. I have a penchant of taking what others consider waste and making something useful. I have done it often for charitalbe cause over the years where you find appreciation for your effort.

After-thoughts......
    I would taper the legs on all four sides from 4 1/4" at top to 2 1/2" at bottom instead of 4 1/4" to 3" tapered on two sides. And widen the stretchers to 6" instead of their current 4" with an arch in the center for leg and knee clearance. I am not fond of bread-board and have taken working with open end grain to a higher level from years of mistakes.

It's done.... the stock for the new bed got moved from the rack to the shop yesterday. The moisture content was around 9% when checked yesterday. With 87* degrees in Atlanta yesterday it should reach a perfect 9% to 10% by the up-coming week-end. Back to the jointer and planer on Saturday to tackle a new challenge.

Drop by for break-fast anytime on and eat on yester-days challenge and we can discuss the one that awaits tomorrow. But if ya do, a few words of advice, learn the local terms and don't be too formal at the table. Even though a "guest" if ya hestitate to get aggressive at getting your share.. ya just might go away hungry.......ha.. ha... ha.. ha.. ha...

PASS those GRITS, son! :>)
    Attached Files
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Beautiful craftsmanship, Sarge, the chairs and table are beautiful. I hope mine come out half as nice. Thanks for getting me motivated to get back on that project. (I think!)
    ken

Comment

• bthere
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Alpharetta, GA

Sarge, the table and chairs ended up great and look even better inside than in the shop.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Great job, Sarge! And the cost of the materials sets a new high (low?) mark.

Those chairs are beautiful, particularly the curves in three dimensions of the back legs. Can you tell us a bit about how you formed them? I'm interested in the splats, too.

Well done.

JR
        JR

Comment

• ejs1097
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I love those chairs. They can't be easy to make and they look awesome. As does the table, excellent work.

how can you have a bad day after enjoying a cup of coffee and grits in the morning on that piece of art.
          Eric
          Be Kind Online

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

That some very nice work. If it's literally made out of scrap wood, you could wear the title "Scrapwood Engineer" with great pride.

I'm pretty certain my wife would love a set like that, if I could only make it!

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Holy cow! That's awesome! Especially since you spent so little on making them.
              Chairs are something I have not attempted (and my wife let's me know it).

Great work!

Paul

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Just looking at those chairs thinking how challenging something like that would be for me. Fantastic work!

Comment

• ChrisD
                  • Dec 2004
                  • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

That is one heck of a set, Sarge! Nice job.
                  The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Sarge,

Way better than storebought. And you recycled too.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Tom H
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2006

Wow Sarge, that is very impressive! You have no doubt made the missus big time happy.

Tom

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice!
                        John Hunter

Comment

• ScottGolden
                          Established Member
                          • May 2006

Wow!!

I am frightened just thinking what you would have made if this was not scrap wood.

Did I say wow? Guess I did but the set derserve another one.

WOW!!!

Great job.
                          Scott

Comment

• Brian G
                            • Jun 2003
                            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                            • G0899

Those are outstanding. It looks like you built in the appropriate degree of reclination. That saves somebody from trying to lean back, and you having to admonish them with "Hey buddy. . . four on the floor!"

We could use some like that in our house.
                            Brian

Comment

• Stan
                              • Mar 2004
                              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Sarge,
                              Daggum -- fantastic looking pieces there. And from reclaimed materials -- that's just way too kewl.

Kudos!!!
                              From the NW corner of Montana.
                              http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

Working...