Fireplace Mantel Part 2 (Sorry-Pic Intensive and long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Fireplace Mantel Part 2 (Sorry-Pic Intensive and long)

Thanks everybody for your compliments regarding my mantel in the other post. It was my first project that didn't consist soley of rough carpentry. Since posting it yetsterday I've gotten eleven PM/e-mails from members asking me specific questions or for additional pics.

I agree, adding a fireplace not only adds charm to your home but it's aesthetics adds resale value should you decide to sell down the road. Mantels seems to be a popular project, especially if your adding a fireplace from scratch, like I did. So instead of repeating myself I figured I'd post some info in an additional thread for these folks and others who may want to eventually tackle this project. It's not tough.

I was looking to do a complete living room overhaul and fiqured, why not go all out. Never had a fireplace, it'll be a nice touch. The firebox is gas and vents outside so it had to be place against an exterior wall.

My living room dimensions are small (13X18) so, to save even a few more inches (in case we decided to go with a coffee table in the middle of the room) I decided to recess the firebox into the exterior wall to gain 5 more inches of floor space (yes, this firebox can be placed but-up against wood framing). This is obviously a load-bearing wall so it had to be framed accordingly. The mess of 2X4 on the front framing was to accomodate the mantel. I wasn't sure what the final mantel dimensions were so I wanted to have a nailer in each of the three possible scenarios.

Ready for paint. The sidewall's are 14" but for some reason look half that in these pics.

Painted.

Instead of sanding the floors like I had wanted, the wife falls in love with some "natural white oak" flooring from Lowes so mantel is put on hold. Dig the 1979 ghettoblaster? Who needs a milwaulkee or Bosch job site radio when you have this classic.

The mantel supports were cut from an 8' length piece of mdf. I needed 6 sides (3 pieces each column) so, to ensure identical dimensions, i ripped three strips, mitering the edges, which I then cut in half. Miter the edges, don't use butt joints, especially with mdf, they'll show through horribly

A tip: Make sure you miter all edges of each column that butt the wall, this way when it doesn't sit flush with the wall (cause we all know no wall is perfectly flat) and you scribe your line, you'll only have to remove the tinyest amount of material since only an 1/8" is actually touching the wall. The column carcass is assembled with four pieces of 2X3 connecting the sides every 10". The top (front) is glued to the sides and nailed to the 2x3's. This pic only shows a dry fit, thank God, b/c I was simply going to route a decoritive groove up and down each side of the column but the wife chimes in that the sample I'm copying has a recessed look. Ugh! So I had to meticulously jigsaw out the center of each column and soften the edges with an ogee bit. 1/4" hardboard was used as backing to the front piece to create the recessed look. Sorry no specific pics but you can see the hardboard in the some other pics near the end.

The center section is the witdth of the fireplace plus 2X the width of your side tile. Because of the size of the arc, I had to improvise and make a super simple trammel. Make sure your pivot pin is centered with the center of your workpiece. My center section is actually two pieces of 3/4" mdf. Again, it would've been so much easier to simply rout a groove with a plunge groove bit but she wants it the way she wants it.
    Tip: Stick a golf pencil into your routers 1/4" adapter and lower it to the workpiece so you can make some test cutlines. With arcs, you pretty much get one shot. When you get it just right replace pencil with bit and make several passes until your though the 3/4".

The two pieces glued and nailed together creating the recessed look.

Since I wanted to create a neat look where the tile meets the center section, I rabbeted the bottom back edge. This way, if the tile cut was not perfect, it wouldn't matter - it was hidden. The depth of the cut should be the thickness of your tile plus an 1/8" to compensate for wall deviasions.

The two center tiles are installed so the center mantel piece can be mounted and leveled accordingly. The rest pf the mantel is built up around the center section. Much easier this way in case adjustments need to be made.

Any height adjustments can be made by overcutting or undercutting the size of the column feet. Since I made these last, and trim covered the part where they met the floor and the column, I added 1/4" shims as deemed necessary.

Installation of remaining granite and paint.

I hope this answered most questions. If not, feel free to e-mail or PM me. I'll e-mail you back on an individual basis. If you can use any of these ideas or tips, great. Just ask me for permission Hope this helps.

Good luck,
    Greg
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

WOW! That is nice and great photos. I am bookmarking this thread.

I need to do similar for our house back in the States when I retire. There is an existing fireplace but it is in bad need of a major overhaul (originally a wood burning) but replacing it with a similar unit as you have. The whole mantel needs replacing also as it has about 10 layers of paint on it and it is cracking and peeling.

Thanks for the story line in pictures too.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

This is a fantastic project and I'm impressed w/ all the other work, too (flooring, trim work, painting, etc.). This room looks read for a BH&G spread!

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

Storm, great work! How much did you spend on materials and supplies?

Looks like you made a great investment with the fireplace and crown.
        Pete

Comment

• Stormbringer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Floral Park, NY
          • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by cgallery
          This is a fantastic project and I'm impressed w/ all the other work, too (flooring, trim work, painting, etc.). This room looks read for a BH&G spread!
          Thanks much cg. There was another large scale project for this room and I've attached some pics of that too but not really woodworking realted.

Originally posted by Cheeky
          Storm, great work! How much did you spend on materials and supplies?

Looks like you made a great investment with the fireplace and crown.
          Thanks Cheek,
          Fireplace complete was $1800 (comes with a four speed fan the base to really circulate the heat around)
          Crown from the borg at whatever they get per foot (think it was about a buck twenty-nine X 60 feet plus a few wasted test cut feet.
          Flooring was $4.69 a sq X 250sq -10% moving coupon from Lowes.
          New baseboard and complete window trim replacement at whatever the rate per foot...I lost track.
          New sheetrocked ceiling plus the recessed can lighting + new wiring to accomodate them.

I have the costs detailed in a folder but it added up for everything I did. I saved though since I did everything myself, except for sheetrocking the ceiling. For that, LOML assisted but when we dropped a piece I blamed her and she refused to help anymore so I had to get creative with some braces. Memo to self, RENT A LIFT.

My house is a simple cape. To "open up" the smallish living room I decided to remove 1/2 the wall on the side of the staircase that faces the living room. I highly recommend this project if your in a similar situation and want to create a more open feel to your room. We started last week on my buddy's house after he saw the improvment first hand. Here's the pics. Thanks for looking.

Greg

Last edited by Stormbringer; 02-10-2007, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.
            • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Very nice job on both the fireplace and stairs!
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• linear
              • May 2004
              • DeSoto, KS, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

How long did the cat installation take?
              --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

The pencil in the router is a great tip! It's one of those "why-didn't-I-think-of-that" things. Very good photo essay and explanation.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

amazing!

The complete job, wood working, putting the window(i think the widow left of the fire place was put in by you? - what did you do from the outside? do you have pics of that?) is superbly amazing! love the stair railing and the fireplace mantel. did you make the curved part of the hand rail? looks very nice!

another question, the piece above the mantel was a flat box (above the columns), but in another picture, it looks like you cut a pattern into the bottom lip and then added moulding, is that correct? or did you just build outwards (from the box) entirely with molding?

Comment

• Stormbringer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Floral Park, NY
                    • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                    The complete job, wood working, putting the window(i think the widow left of the fire place was put in by you? - what did you do from the outside? do you have pics of that?) is superbly amazing! love the stair railing and the fireplace mantel. did you make the curved part of the hand rail? looks very nice?
                    Thank you Omar. Sorry. No pics of the window. Didn't dawn on me to document the progress until the staircase part of the project. The exterior of the house is brick so I had to my 7" Bosch grinder with a 10" masonary blade. I do not recommend this. Rent the proper saw...much safer. Same procedure was used for the A/C that went through the wall to the right of the fireplace.

I did not make the curved part. It's called a "volute" but I too prefer "curved part". It was $70 from the borg. The trickiest part is cutting it and the handrail at the xact angles so they mate properly. You don't have much room for error with this.

Here's a pic of them screwed together:

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                    another question, the piece above the mantel was a flat box (above the columns), but in another picture, it looks like you cut a pattern into the bottom lip and then added moulding, is that correct? or did you just build outwards (from the box) entirely with molding?

Regards,
                    Greg

Comment

• gad5264
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Greg, that is very impressive work. I to am bookmarking this thread for later review.
                      Grant
                      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

All I can say is that is beautiful work. You should be proud of it.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                          • BT3100

thanks for taking the time to reply. my wife really loved the end results.

i had assumed that you had brick, just interested to see what kind of a detail that you came up with to seal around the window, vapor barrier and window header, etc. but no problem.

from the scope of work, do you do this for a living aswell?

i liked the edited picture with notes. just wondering, do you just use windows paint to edit the pics or some other program and how did you put the pics into the text, i tried at one time, but couldnt find a feature on there to do that? did i miss something on the screen?

regards,

Comment

• LowerUnit
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2006
                            • Glendale, Az

cheese-n-rice!!!

someone needs to discover you and get a newer better version of Mr. Vila...

Good job! - and if you ever want to drop by my place for a few days.....

Comment

• mikedude
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Apr 2005
                              • St Augustine, FL, USA.

Beautiful! I'm glad my wife doesn't come to this site. I might have a big project on my list. :-)

Mike St Augustine

Comment

Working...