• Show
Clear All
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

First Chair

The Missus placed an order for a dining table and chairs. The table didn't bother me much, but honestly, I've been dreading that first chair for years.
    We found a plan that we both liked and of course it couldn't be a nice simple straight back chair, it had to have curves everywhere!
    I made this prototype out of White Pine, I think the table and chair set will be White Oak, maybe Red Oak. The chair has 22 mortise and tenons, 12 of those are in curved areas.
    The back legs are sawn from 1 3/4 thick by 3 1/2" wide stock, the back slats are sawn from 1 3/4" square stock.
    The prototype is finished with 2 coats of Zinnser Sealcoat followed by 5 coats of wipe-on Ploy.
    I did the seat with material and foam from Walmart.
    Thanks for looking,
    ken

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	790015

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished3-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	790016
  • ChrisD
    • Dec 2004
    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Very nice for a first, Ken. The curves are very pleasing to the eye and look comfortable, too.

Are you changing anything from the prototype to the final piece, other than the material?

I have always considered chairmaking a different discipline from the rest of 'conventional' woodworking, so hats off to you!
    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

That's a pretty nice looking chair.

Comment

• Wood_workur
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Ohio
        • Ryobi bt3100-1

That is a beautiful chair. The curves are very nice.

So what are you gonna do with the prototype when you finish the other chairs?
        Alex

Comment

• tlt
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Tucson, Arizona.
          • Delta 36-682

First or not, that's a great looking chair Ken!

For the curvy parts like the long piece on the back legs, do you steam/bend the wood or cut out the curve from a wide piece of wood?

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

Wow!

ken,

it doesnt look anything like 'first chair'. i could have sworn that you were an expert! the curve looks great, and most of looks comfortable.

nice job! any changes you plan on making after you made your 'trial' chair?

Edit: are the horizontal strips for the back curved aswell?

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nicely done, Ken. Co-incidentally, after 35 years of stabbing wood I just did my first chairs to match a country kitchen table I'm currently finishing. I also was hesitant as chair makers are chair makers and I ain't a chair maker for sure. The first challenge I ever tackled that made my knee's shake before execution as you mentioned.

I also kept the design simple to match my skills. The worst scenario was I would "blow it", but the good news is if I did the chairs are made from Indonesian rubber tree (parawood) I recovered from pallets we get at my work. So.. at least the price of failure would have been low.

But all worked out in the wash and after the prototype, the others were a piece of cake much to my astonishment. The chairs turned out fine but I still haven't gotten over the PITA of finishing with slats.. nooks and crannies everywhere you turn. It seemed a never ending battle with 8 coats of wipe on.

Maybe you and I should quit our day jobs, form a partner-ship and rent a building about half way tween Liberty and Atlanta. Just go "pro" as chair-makers and maybe sell pit-cooked bar-be-que on the side to supplement cash in-take when business is slow.

Sounds like a plan even though our wives might not necessarily be in agreement with that from a financial security stand-point. You know how women are. BTW.. comfortable or not, my family has been told they're sitting in those 4 chairs and there better not be one complaint after all that work regardless of whether they're comfortable or not.. the alternative is one of the 3 exits clearly marked in my house! ha.. ha... :>)

Regards...
              Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2007, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Sam Conder
                Woodworker Once More
                • Dec 2002
                • Midway, KY
                • Delta 36-725T2

Hey Ken,

From the subject line, I thought you had joined your local philharmonic orchestra!

Sam Conder
                BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

Ken looks great!!! Can't believe it's your first chair. If I ever do a chair I will be happy if my second chair looks that good.
                  Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• onedash
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Maryland
                    • Craftsman 22124

I have a set of chairs somewhere in my future. I know that easy=uncomfortable and comfortable=hard. So I have been procrastinating. When I run out of other projects then those chairs will probably get built. Or at least I'll try.

Good job.
                    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• warrenp
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Kentucky, USA.

Nice looking chair...and it looks great in pine.

Comment

• Popeye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Woodbine, Ga
                        • Grizzly 1023SL

Great looking chair Ken. I still haven't gotten brave enough to try a chair. Can't wait to see the set done in oak. Pat
                        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Ken

That is a great looking chair. I can't wait to see the set done either.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ryan G
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Charleston, SC.

Ken

Great job on the chair!

Comment

• cybrshrk
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Oct 2005
                              • New Jersey, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

****, Ken, that is the sweetest 'first' chair I've ever seen...and it's just a prototype! Sweet!

In looking at that chair as a larger American (6'+ and 250lbs+) I can see where that chair may hurt me after a nice sit down dinner...where the front legs sit proud of the top of the seat rails. My current dining table chairs have almost the same design where the legs sit slightly higher and even with the seat cushion I get to feeling it after a long sit.

This ain't a bashing...that is a fine piece of work!!!
                              Rob, aka CyBrShRk

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either...

Comment

Working...