• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikedude
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2005
    • St Augustine, FL, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
    Did you use a table/fence for the rabbett bit? If so wondering why you didn't use the same setup for the straight bit. You can either use a split fence or attach a sacrificial fence to bury the straight bit in. Either way it would be safer and easier than freehand.
    I did use a fence on the router table for the rabit and the other bits. When I was going free hand I had already put the 4 pieces together into a frame and thought that would be the best option. "Someone" made some design errors and didnt have the rabit deep enough for the backing to be flush. And that same "someone" didn't check to make sure the glass fit prior to glue up. It was off about 1/8th of an inch. So I had to fix all "his" miscalculations. It's so hard to find good help these days! ;-)

Mike St Augustine, FL

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by mikedude
      "Someone" made some design errors and didnt have the rabit deep enough for the backing to be flush. And that same "someone" didn't check to make sure the glass fit prior to glue up.
      Mike St Augustine, FL

Heh. BTDT!
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dgcoles
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006

mikedude,
        Beautiful frame! I aspire to create something so nice. I have a few noobie questions for you.
        How did you cut the miters (table saw, miter saw etc.)?
        How did you connect the miters (did you just use glue or some kind of fastener like v nail etc.)?
        Thanks!

Comment

• Wood_workur
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Ohio
          • Ryobi bt3100-1

looks nice.
          Alex

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

That's a rich looking frame. Very nice.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• mikedude
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2005
              • St Augustine, FL, USA.

Not sure what BTDT means but you guessed it, it was me!

Originally posted by dgcoles
              mikedude,
              Beautiful frame! I aspire to create something so nice. I have a few noobie questions for you.
              How did you cut the miters (table saw, miter saw etc.)?
              How did you connect the miters (did you just use glue or some kind of fastener like v nail etc.)?
              Thanks!
              I used a miter sled that I made for my table saw. Cuts right or left miters perfect every time. I used a fancy joint called a "butt joint". Butt two pieces of wood together and glue em up! I thought about doing "bridal joints" on the corners but I lacked the jig to do that and the motivation to make that there jig. So I glued up 2 pieces with blocks and clamps. Once that dried I glued up the entire frame and used a band clamp to hold it snug. Worked pretty good though I'm sure there are better ways to do it.

If I was a noob and I am on a lot of stuff I would make the miter sled and test it thoroughly on scrap wood in order to make sure you were making perfect 90 degree cuts on the right and left side. Then get some good wood and make your frame. Good luck and enjoy!

Mike St Augustine, FL

Comment

• dgcoles
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006

Thanks mikedude! That helps a lot. Do you have a picture of your miter sled or can you point me in the direct of making one. Thanks again!

Comment

• mikedude
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2005
                  • St Augustine, FL, USA.

I did a quick search on miter sled and found this site that has a couple of photos and plans available for $4.95 if you want to purchase plans.

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/table-saw-miter-sled/

Mine is much simpler than the one pictured here. MDF board with 2x4's glued and screwed on at the correct angle. You will need to decide how you want to make the slides for your miter slots on your table saw. Either buy metal ones from Rockler or Woodcraft, make them out of wood, make them out of plastic sheets from Rockler or Wood craft.

When you are ready to put it together place your miter slides in the tables saws miter slots. Put the base board (MDF, Plywood, etc.) on top and align it as straight as possible, glue it and screw the miter slides to your base board. Start your table saw and cut a slot in your base board. No need to saw into your baseboard and further than you will need to push it through while doing your cuts.

Temporarily attach a 2x4 (or whatever size board you want to use) at 90 degrees on the right side of your base board. Do a test cut to insure it is at 90 degrees. If it is glue it and screw it. If it isn't adjust and do another test cut. Repeat for the left side.

When you are done you will have a miter sled that looks something like the one in the photo at the web site above. A base board with two miter runners on the bottom for the sled to slide in. Two boards on top (I used 2x4's) set to 90 degrees. Make any sense? I know it's hard without pictures. Take a look at several photos on the internet then read what I wrote and design it in your noggin. There are probably 20 ways to do it so there is no wrong way as long as your cuts are a perfect 90 degrees when your finished. Good luck and enjoy!

Mike St Augustine, FL

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

amazingly nice frame + a question

truley beautiful! the frame they sell you is a piece of junk costing 10x's what you can make a quality frame for. i have been wanting to make a few frames myself, maybe now i can muster up some courage.

by the way, a question: i have always wondered, peopel make the miter cut jig and all. why not just use the sliding miter that came with the bt3? i dont know if that is the saw that you have, but lets say you did, would you use the saw's sliding miter or make your own jig anyways?

regards,

Comment

• dgcoles
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Thanks mikedude, that was a great help!

Comment

• mikedude
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2005
                        • St Augustine, FL, USA.

I don't have a BT3, by the time I figured out I wanted on they stopped making that model. My saw is a a cheap Skilsaw and the miter guage really stinks. I wouldn't trust the wood to stay in place across the blade.

Mike St Augustine, FL

Comment

• GPA61
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                          • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Nice looking frame.
                          Claudio

Comment

Working...