• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warrenp
    Established Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Kentucky, USA.

Simple pine table

Hey gang. Here is my latest pine project which turned out much better than I had expected. This was the first miter that I have cut, not too bad. And I also built one of the mortise jigs to use with my router which made a HUGE difference in the joints.

The finish is painted which is not my usual preference, but the LOML designed and chose the paint and tile. We won't grout the tile until the paint dries for a couple of weeks.

The genesis of this project was the tiffany lamp that my stepdaughter gave us for Christmas and we didn't have a table to place it on, so I volunteered to build the table.

Anyway...learned quite a bit on this project. The first paint we used turned out to be a disaster and I had to sand it back down for a repaint.

I have had lots of hobbies, but I get more satisfaction out of woodworking than most of the others. I think this is because I can create useful objects that people will appreciate. Besides, where else can I get custom made furniture that is designed to fit right into a spot.

Note...this is not the final location...I just placed the lamp on the table for pictures. And I didn't build that small table beside the main one...I always pick up those simple pine pieces at the local festivals. Just something about them that appeals to me.

Anyway...let me know if you have any questions or constructive feedback.

Warren
    Attached Files
    Last edited by warrenp; 01-19-2007, 10:51 AM.
  • DaveW
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • So Cal.

Nice! I wouldn't have guessed pine...

hmm.. maybe that's the direction I need to head! Of course, personally, I hate painting - I can't do it if my life depended on it! Any tips about the painting? (i.e., what was the first one, and why was it bad? what did you use the second time around?)

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Nice work, Warren! A fitting home for a beautiful lamp. Your bride has a good eye for colors: I think the paint matches the lamp's base as well as the tile complements the glasswork.

You're certainly right about the satisfaction one derives from woodworking, especially when the final product turns out the way you envisioned it. And, in your case, it turned out even better!

Pine has a special place with me, too. My very first project was a bed made of construction-grade pine lumber. The client I built it for, who's 12 now, said someday his own kid(s) (a.k.a. my future grandchildren) will get to use it.
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Very nice! That tile is cool, going nicely with the lamp.

Yeah, painting is not the woodworker's first choice. But then most of our projects our not of our choice, either! It turned out really nice in this case.

JR
        JR

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I like that Lamp. I would not have thought the table was pine either. Very nice work indeed.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• warrenp
            Established Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Kentucky, USA.

Dave,
            I have also never liked the results of my painting, but this came out great.

Result was definitely trial and error. You should have seen the first pass. Anyone could get the results from the second pass after the paint pro over at HD told me what to use.

First, paint is latex which I would not have thought could give such a nice finish. Now by nice finish, it is not shiny smooth...it feels and looks a bit satiny with a very slight shine. Although Linda picked out the finish, my goal was to get that old-style brown finish.

Second, apply a good primer using a brush. I used Rustoleum Painters Touch Primer.

Third, DON'T use Rustoleum Painters Touch Kona Brown Paint. I tried several application approaches and it simply looked like a glaze with lots of streaks. That was sanded smooth and another coat of primer was applied.

Third (pass two), get a good quality latex paint and have the tint added. I used Glidden Evermore Semigloss Latex paint and applied it with a mini-roller that was about 1" thick at the suggestion of the HD expert.

Roll on two coats of paint and it will look great.

It was quite easy the second time around.

Although I really appreciate finely finished furniture, my nature is to design and build a project quickly. Geterdone as they say. I really don't like to have structural and machining flaws in my finished products, but I don't usually take the time to get them perfectly finished. In face, if you look carefully at the table, there are even some small open knotholes (1/4") on the legs. They were cut from a piece of 2x8 construction pine that I pulled out of the HD scrap bin for a $1.01.

The most expensive part of the project was (grin) buying a full sheet of 3/4" birch ply for the mortising jig. No, it didn't take anywhere near the full sheet, but it was cheaper in the long run to buy a sheet and have it cut small enough to fit in the car. And the most expensive part of the table was by far the tile top. That glass tile probably cost about $35.

Another advantage of building pine pieces is that I can build more things. Most of my family couldn't afford to spend hundreds of dollars for hardwood projects. So I get to build nice pieces that family can afford (or I can afford to build for them) and it satisfies my need to create sawdust.

Warren

Comment

• Turaj
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
              • BT3000 (1998)

Very nice work Warren! I think you / your wife did a great job with the colour / tile!!
              Turaj (in Toronto)
              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                John Hunter

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Looks like a perfect home for what might have been a lonely, but beautiful lamp.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Very, very nice, Warren.
                    ken

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

Very nice work and beautiful finish.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• GPA61
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                        • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Very nice looking table.
                        Claudio

Comment

• Popeye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Woodbine, Ga
                          • Grizzly 1023SL

Very nice, good looking lamp too. Pat
                          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

I agree, you can build several items out of pine for what one piece out of Red Oak would cost you. Now maybe one of these days when I get really good I might try a more expensive wood but for now I'm with you Warren, pines the way to go and it works so easy too. Great looking table. You should be proud of it as I'm sure you are by the way talk. Good job!
                            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• warrenp
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2004
                              • Kentucky, USA.

Thanks for the kudos.

Warren

Comment

Working...