• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Bone
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Helena, MT

Bandsaw Box

When I was searching for ideas for a Christmas present for my wife, she hinted that she could use a jewelry box. So I Googled "jewelry box" thinking I would build a rectangular box with a lid and a tray. I just happened upon a picture of bandsaw box as I was searching. So I ended up buying the "Making Beautiful Boxes with your Bandsaw" book and made the box on the cover as her Christmas gift and it was a hit. I also happenned upon Tony Ward's web site along the way and his work inspired me to make more (I was excited to see that Tony has recently joined this forum and hope to see more of his wonderful work - and maybe get a few tips). I haven't come up with any of my own designs yet but here is my second attempt using aromatic cedar finished with 2 coats of paste wax. The design is another one of the patterns in the book. These are really fun to make. The actual cutting for me was the easiest part. The sanding is the hard part but I found it oddly enjoyable in a way and very gratifying to see the final results.

Thanks for looking
    Travis
    Attached Files
  • Brian in Dawson Creek
    Established Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
    • Delta Cabinet Saw

Very well done … Strange how a grain pattern that may not be suitable elsewhere is extremely adaptable to Band saw boxes. Looks like you have no fear of sanding and rounding off in just the right places.

Why no pulls? You must have something else in mind … maybe holes drilled in the back?

Nicely done.

Brian

Comment

• ScottGolden
      Established Member
      • May 2006

nice work!!

But enjoying sanding, yeah that might qualify as odd in my book at least.

Comment

• Tony Ward
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2006
        • Blue Mountains, Australia

Travis

Well done, particularly as it is only your 2nd bandsawn box. I am sure your wife will enjoy it! When can we expect to see your next bandsawn box?

Thank you for the honourable mention.

Tony Ward
        Tony Ward
        Bandsawn Box Plans

Comment

• niki
          • Nov 2006
          • Poland
          • EB PK255

Beautiful box Travis, and only second one (you had to see my second project...or better, not), it's still mystery for me how you make them and it looks to me like a lot of artistic work is required (and I don't "have" it).

For me, if it's not 90° cuts and joints... it's not for me.

I know Tony Ward and his works for long time and, maybe he is forum "Newbie", but in bandsawn box making he is very "Oldbie" and makes works that till today I'm sure that he is using some laser cutter or alike....Welcome to the forum Tony.

niki

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I've had the book for a long time, but never tried to make any boxes. Everytime I see one as nice as this one, I think I need to. I love the grain pattern the Cedar gave you.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

Excellent work. It is beautiful.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

Extra nice, especially for a 2nd box.
                ken

Comment

• fiasco
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2006

subscribed

Comment

• boblon
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Florida, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
                    I've had the book for a long time, but never tried to make any boxes. Everytime I see one as nice as this one, I think I need to.
                    My situation exactly.

And great looking boxes like this one always elicit that reaction in me.

That is a great looking box and from what I understand about making bandsaw boxes your statement...

The sanding is the hard part but I found it oddly enjoyable in a way and very gratifying to see the final results.
                    ...will serve you well doing these.

Nice work.

BobL.
                    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• DonHo
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                      • Craftsman 21829

Very nice. I love how the cedar looks. I've made a few bandsaw boxes and love to turn cedar but somehow I've never made a bandsaw box from cedar. I think I'll have to try one.

DonHo
                      Don

Comment

• lrogers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Mobile, AL. USA.
                        • BT3000

Nice box! Really neat looking piece of wood.
                        Larry R. Rogers
                        The Samurai Wood Butcher
                        http://splash54.multiply.com
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Tony Ward
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2006
                          • Blue Mountains, Australia

Originally posted by niki
                          Beautiful box Travis, and only second one (you had to see my second project...or better, not), it's still mystery for me how you make them and it looks to me like a lot of artistic work is required (and I don't "have" it).

For me, if it's not 90° cuts and joints... it's not for me.

I know Tony Ward and his works for long time and, maybe he is forum "Newbie", but in bandsawn box making he is very "Oldbie" and makes works that till today I'm sure that he is using some laser cutter or alike....Welcome to the forum Tony.

niki
                          I agree Travis has done a great job.

Re the laser refer to my new thread.

Tony Ward
                          Tony Ward
                          Bandsawn Box Plans

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Just posted to the "blades" thread, but now have to post again after seeing your latest box. I like that design too! Try this for something different. I had a 6" x 6" cedar timber sawed out as well as one from butternut. Wanted to try one without the gluing up session. Now you have a box without the seams from the glue-up. Really works nice. Sorry no pictures
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• T-Bone
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Helena, MT

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Brian - Yep, I decided to put holes in the back of this one to open the drawers. The design in the book has little handles but I didn't want to detract from the grain pattern on the front.

Tony - I actually made 4 boxes out of this same board - this was the first one to get finished - I'll post pictures of the others probably this weekend.

Niki - I'm an engineer so I'm also naturally inclined toward projects with 90 degree cuts and perfect joints but sometimes I just gotta take a break from all the rigid precise perfect accuracy thing and hide the tape measure and embrace the curves for a while. For me, it's like taking a vacation from my normal daily engineer life.

L.D. - Thanks for the suggestion. I think you're right that a solid block of wood is the way to go for these boxes. Now I just need to figure out where to get chunks of decent wood around here that are big enough to make a box and don't cost a fortune. Our local forests are limited to pine and fir mostly. Maybe my local hardwood supplier can help me out.

Comment

Working...