• Show
Clear All
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

First turnings

Here are my first attempts. There were others today but they failed. Some blow outs and a lot of tubes decided not to stick so they had to be reglued (some more than once) I tried an acrylic and it blow out.
    Mine are on the left..My sons are on the right...
    Attached Files
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.
  • linear
    • May 2004
    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Nice!

Um, does your son have something more curvaceous than a typical pen on his mind perhaps?
    --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by onedash
      ... a lot of tubes decided not to stick so they had to be reglued (some more than once)
      Typically, tubes are 7mm and the expectation is to use a 7mm drill bit. However, since I've been using a 6.9mm drill bit with superglue on a roughed-up tube, I've had no problems. If only a 7mm bit is available, I'd use polyurethane glue on a roughed-up tube, but it takes a lot longer to cure.

Nice pens, BTW!

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

Those are very nice. Keep up the good work.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Doug Jones
          Established Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Indiana
          • Delta 36-444

As RayintheUK has said, roughing the tube will help. Using 100 grit sand paper sanding it length wise then using poly glue. I will usually prep a bunch of blanks a day or more ahead of time giving the glue plenty of time to cure.

Great looking pens, your well on your way.

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
            John Hunter

Comment

• dkhoward
              • Dec 2003
              • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
              • bt3000

Beautiful. Turning is one aspect of woodworking that I have never gotten involved with. THe work is beautiful but I had to draw a line somewhere.
              Dennis K Howard
              www.geocities.com/dennishoward
              "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• DeanKC
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2006
                • KCMO

Nice Job, onedash!

Looking at the curvey ones, I remember one of my first attempts "outside the box" like these. It was a total "oops" as I made the top so stinking big that the clip wouldn't!

If you were having glue troubles, were you using thick or thin CA? Or even medium? Most anything other than thick and you won't get great adhesion. Roughing the tubes with 100 grit is the way to go. Don't get TOO aggressive or you'll NEED that 6.9 or 6.8 mm drill for sure!

And if you were using any of the oilier or waxier woods, you'd also have adhesion troubles. Cocobolo, some of the rosewoods, lignum, ebony, and others need to have special attention paid or the glues just won't stick. Not sure if even Gorilla would stick to them because of their dense, slick nature. If you're using what we in America term "an exotic" that has those dense waxy or oily features, you have to de-wax or de-oil them with some acetone first. Then your thick CA will work just fine. And remember, don't use your accelerator on these. Let them have the couple of minutes necessary to cure.

And I'll share one other lesson. one learned last week while prepping for Christmas, freshly drilled olive wood (Spanish, wild, domestic, or other) needs a little special attention, too. The wood is moist enough that you have to get your glued tubes in the hole up to the hilt REALLY quickly, or you'll end up with brass sticking out. I have a couple that are going to have to go through alterations in order to be used because of that. I'm MUCH quicker now than I was.

Hope it helps.

DeanKC

Comment

• DonHo
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                  • Craftsman 21829

The pens are very nice. Have you tried epoxy? It might fill any gaps, but of course you would need to wait a little longer to allow it to cure.
                  DonHo
                  Don

Comment

• GeekMom
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Bonney Lake, WA.
                    • Shopsmith Mark V

Very nice - and they sure don't look like first attempts!
                    Karen
                    <><

Comment

• Wood_workur
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Ohio
                      • Ryobi bt3100-1

nice pens.
                      Alex

Comment

• onedash
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Maryland
                        • Craftsman 22124

im on a roll now. I glued up a bunch yesterday with gorilla glue.....I used a stick to coat the hole and put the tubes in and left em over night. no problems at all. Except I melted my mandrell today and the tip of the live center. I bought a new rod and tip but the tip was the wrong size. Im gonna have to grind it a little....I had it on full speed while sanding and it slowed way down a few sparks fell off and it started to wobble....
                        its always something....I got a couple coccobolo pens a osage orange and started a walnut pen...gotta go fix everything now and try to finish another one or two...

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

Very nice work. Having destroyed a lot of wood trying to master a lathe, I can certainly appreciate the work you done. Keep it up!
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• onedash
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2005
                            • Maryland
                            • Craftsman 22124

ok here are some more...Everything is back on track...Now that im sanding with the grain between grits I noticed an improvement...
                            I do 150,220,320,600, 0000 steel wool, burnish and 2-3 coats of finish.

this pic shows off the osage orange pretty good...still looks a lot better than the pic though....
                            I need to use my tripod and see if that helps...get a longer exposure...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by onedash; 12-29-2006, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...