• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Aquarium Stand and Hood

Back in September I purchased a 55 gal. aquarium and stand on Ebay for $33. This is an older set and the Aquarium weighs over 150 lb. (3/8+ thick glass) the stand which I think was homemade, consisted of 4 face frames with 2 ends and a center partition of particle board. No floor or top, just the face frames. In October I decided to set it up and see how cheap I could do it. The aquarium need a good cleaning and a filter and lights. The stand was a mess warped face frames, loose joints (single pocket hole joints) The wood looked like Pine or Doug Fir. full of knots and dings of various shapes and sizes which I reused other than the top. Since I was doing this on the cheap I used whatever wood I had laying around. I built a new top added a floor and new end and center panels, then stained it with dark walnut to even out the color. and finished it with 4 coats of satin water based poly. The hood was made of scrap pine 1 x 8 ripped down painted gloss white inside for reflection of light. The light fixtures is a left over shop light that was never installed in the shop or garage. I did purchase a new canister filter ($34 on Ebay) two flourescent tubes at HD total cost $85 set up and running. Pictures 1 & 2 are of the stand as I received it #3 is the new top being glued up Plywood and pine face frame using biscuts #4 new floor 3/4 MDF and warped face frame #5 dry fit end panels were attached to front and rear face frame using glue and biscuts, #6 is refinished doors, 7,8,9 finished tank all set up with fish. I also made cleats that attached to centr and end panel to fasten top to. Very sturdy and heavier stand now. Fun project, got rid of a lot of scrap and finish material. Still need to make shelf for right side of cabinet. Now that I have figured out how to resize and post picture I will show more of my projects. There is a glass cover over tank so there is not moisture problem for the lights.

Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TB Roye; 12-07-2006, 12:51 PM.
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Wow! Looks very great!
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Very very nice work, especially for using cutoffs. I see you have another aquarium there. Salt or fresh water?

My brother has a salt water. He had a 55gal until my SIL botched a refinish job last week 3 days before they were supposed to have a dinner party. He said the house smelled like the stain and it looked terrible. He went to buy a stand and discovered for not much more he could get a a 90gal+stand. He was planning on making a stand eventually but now says no. He doesn't want to move that 90gal aquarium.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• MilDoc

Nice job! Looks great!

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

There are a total of 5 tanks all freshwater 2 55gal,1, 37gal. 1, 18 gal and a 6 gal. Saltwater set ups are too expensive to much work.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Tom

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • IL, USA.
            • DELTA 36-675

Excellent job! Talk about a makeover.
            Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• GeekMom
              • Dec 2004
              • Bonney Lake, WA.
              • Shopsmith Mark V

Nice job - thanks for posting before and after pictures!
              Karen
              <><

Comment

• Wood_workur
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Ohio
                • Ryobi bt3100-1

that looks nice.
                Alex

Comment

• onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by TB Roye
                  There are a total of 5 tanks all freshwater 2 55gal,1, 37gal. 1, 18 gal and a 6 gal. Saltwater set ups are too expensive to much work.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Tom
                  Read both of martin moes books...Saltwater tanks can be virtually maintenance free...I will get back into it once I buy a house...I want to build one into a wall and have a hidden room behind it to do any maintenance.....

Dont use an undergravel filter....Thats what causes a lot of problems....A thin sand bottom or nothing is best and a good protien skimmer...The live rock does most of the work....

Nice work on the cabinet by the way...
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• dlminehart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • San Jose, CA, USA.

The original stand only looks homemade. In fact, some place cranks them out for both 55 gallon and 125 gallon sizes. My daughter got one of the larger ones. We, too, ended up refinishing it, adding floors, building a hood, etc. Decided to paint it a color that matched others in our living room, as the wood was as mediocre as yours. The most interesting part of the process was designing and setting up the lighting. We used 8 32W T8 bulbs, 4 on each of 2 ballasts, the 2 pairs of 4 bulbs each starting from one end of the 6' hood and interlacing in the central 4' about 1.5" apart. Gives a very bright light!
                    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

That came out beautiful, Tom!
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                        John Hunter

Comment

• mater
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • SC, USA.

Great work. It looks very nice.
                          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• lrogers
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mobile, AL. USA.
                            • BT3000

Excellent re-do. You would never guess what it looked like to start with.
                            Larry R. Rogers
                            The Samurai Wood Butcher
                            http://splash54.multiply.com
                            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Looks very nice.

If you had a distribution method, I always thought fish tanks would be very high profit. Custom tanks are incredibly expensive.

Comment

Working...