• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well this one took awhile!

I have been working on this project for some time now. It was not that it was all that complex but rather things just seem to keep getting in the way of me finishing it. With that I believe I have pretty much finished this particular project today and I think I will be happy with my new router table. I guess that I have been building up to making this for some time now. I started with my router being mounted in my BT3000 and then went to a POS Delta Shopmaster Shaper and from that to a PC690 mounted in a Rockler plate with a table I just threw together to satisfy a need quickly. When I bought the Woodpecker Router Lift and the Jess-Em fence I modified the existing top to accommodate them.

So then here lately with my quest to organize my shop and get things more work station oriented I decided to build a new Router Table/Cabinet. I had no plans for this so I just started looking around at other people’s tables on the internet and from that inspiration I designed my own to my specifications and needs.

So here is the results of what I designed and built. It is made from Baltic Birch edged in Cherry with all the drawer faces being Pine.

The top was made from an old piece of a computer desk I had. It is 1-1/2” thick and quite flat. In that I installed my Woodpecker Uni-Lift and my Jess-EM Master Fence. The top is 34” wide by 24” deep. So far I decided not to install a miter slot as to this date I have never used the one I previously installed. I may change my mind later but for now I have left it off.

The 3 bottom drawers are mounted with Ball Bearing Slides that are full extension.

On the 3 upper left drawers I made into bit storage. I ended up having to buy metric drill bits for the holes so I could oversize them just a bit so the router bits would go in and out easily. The top drawer is for ½” shank bits, the middle is for ¼” shank bits and the bottom drawer is drilled for both. The right drawers are just standard drawers for storage of miscellaneous tool for the table and what not.

So anyway I am pretty happy with it and I think it will work out fine. I do however need to pipe dust collection to it. I have not decided if I am going to put a finish on it or not. Kind of funny when I was building the cabinet the wife came out to the shop and took a peek. The next thing I know she was measuring the top so I asked her what all that was about and she said, “Just seeing if my bathroom sink would fit in it”. I guess I am lucky that the measurements were not to her liking but it does seem as though I will be building another cabinet shortly!

Thanks for having a look.

Ken
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Ken
    That’s a beautiful router table and I don’t blame your wife for almost confiscating it.

I would like to build something like that, but everything in my garage has to be “retractable”.

I wish you many years of enjoyment and a lot of dust making.

niki

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

Ken

As allways, your work is beautiful.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• ScottGolden
        Established Member
        • May 2006

Ken,

That table came out awsome.

I have been planing on building one also. Do you have any plans, I can bum off of you?

Scott

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
          • BT3000 (1998)

Ken, the table looks great! I am sure you had fun building it anf you WILL have a lot more fun using it! Nice job!!
          Turaj (in Toronto)
          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

That is excellent work Ken as always with your projects it looks great.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Stormbringer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Floral Park, NY
              • Bosch 4000

Well blow me down. One's of the best I've ver seen. NICE!

Greg

Comment

• MilDoc

Stunning job!

Comment

• bigstick509
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Macomb, MI, USA.
                  • BT3100

Awesome

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• rcp612
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                    • Bosch 4100-09

1st thought----------step aside Norm, looks like Ken's taken your thunder! That's a great looking table, I"m sure it will be a pleasure to use.
                    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• jhart
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Ken, that's one awsome table!!!
                      Joe
                      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

The next thing I know she was measuring the top so I asked her what all that was about and she said, “Just seeing if my bathroom sink would fit in it”.

I Just hate it when that happens! Great looking table, Ken.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

THAT's a Router table
                          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• WoodButcher26
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Dayton, OH

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm mensurating out the pictures to get dimensions to build my own, which is in design now--design is suddenly much further along...

Great looking table!

Kim
                            Measure it with a micrometer...
                            Mark it with a crayon...
                            Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• kwgeorge
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well thanks everyone, this one as I said had many interruptions while constructing.

Niki, well I don’t know about “retractable” but roll-able for sure! I have now got almost everything in the shop on wheels.

Scott, sure no problem I just hope you can understand my drawings. I really don’t make what you would call traditional plans. I just make drawings for cut details. I have converted these to WMF file format which are readable with the Windows Picture/Fax viewer. Page 1 shows the assembled carcass with overall dimensions.

Note; if you click on these and open them in IE you will lose all the detail so right click on the links and save to disk. Then you can see everything with windows picture/fax viewer.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/rta...wing/Page1.wmf

Page 2 shows the very top layout;

http://theturnersshop.com/images/rta...wing/Page2.wmf

Page 3 is for the Dado positions of the vertical pieces. The pieces marked X2 means you need 2 of them the same. They are left and right mirror images of each other. The depth of the sides, top and bottom are 20” for the carcass. All other pieces are 19-1/2” which allows for a 1/2” Rabbit in the back to hold the back plywood panel.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/rta...wing/Page3.wmf

Page 4 is the horizontal pieces.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/rta...wing/Page4.wmf

The cabinet sits on 3-1/2” locking casters bringing the total height when assembled to 34”. I did not make drawings for the drawers though as I just built them on the fly. The door covering the router was actually built as a drawer and has ¼” Lexan mounted in it. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Kim, See above.

Thanks, Ken

Comment

Working...