X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fiasco
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006

Bathroom project - almost finished

I have been toiling away on this bathroom all year and I'm finally down to cabinetry.

The bathroom originaly was right smack dab in the middle of my basement. I tore it out planning to put it in a different location. Years later I finally got around to putting it back in. I had to cut channels in the basement slab for about 20' to hit the sewer line and then rough in the plumbing for the bathroom and repour the flour.

The tile floor is heated by a cable heat system embedded in the tile mortor. The shower is American Olean Vilano tile with Kerdi waterproof membrane system behind.

I almost have my woodworking tools together to tackle the 36" vanity and 54" of wall cabinets over the washer/dryer.
    Attached Files
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

That's sweet, love the tile work. The double shower head is pretty cool too.
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• fiasco
      Established Member
      • Nov 2006

Thanks!

If anyone ever pays me to do a bathroom for them..... diagonal tile is extra! Wow what alot of extra work that was. Took four times as long to do as the lower half.

I am putting in clear frameless glass doors for the shower.

This is only my 2nd bathroom attempt. I did the primary bathroom upstairs first. That was a little simpler. I didn't have to bust up foundation or anything but still pretty intimidating for my first attempt. The subfloor was rotten from the previous owner letting water sit on the awesome vinyl floor.

The 60" long whirlpool tub was a real chore to get into position in a room that was only 59" wide. The tub surround is on durok cement board over a vapor barrier.

The cabinetry is from birch bath and I remember how much it cost... which is why I'm in this forum now learning how to make my own darn cabinets from rough cut lumber
      Attached Files
      Last edited by fiasco; 11-13-2006, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

That is some beautiful work!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • IL, USA.
          • DELTA 36-675

You did an awesome work on that bathroom!! You should be proud of yourself.

Thank you for sharing!
          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

That is looking good. Great job.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• mikedude
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2005
              • St Augustine, FL, USA.

Nice! Wish someone at my house had your level of motivation to redo my bathroom. :-) Looks great!

Comment

• GeekMom
                • Dec 2004
                • Bonney Lake, WA.
                • Shopsmith Mark V

Beautiful design.
                Karen
                <><

Comment

• lrogers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mobile, AL. USA.
                  • BT3000

EXCELLENT! I love the color tile you used.
                  Larry R. Rogers
                  The Samurai Wood Butcher
                  http://splash54.multiply.com
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Stormbringer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Floral Park, NY
                    • Bosch 4000

Enough with the before pictures! How about some of your progress. What color tile are you going to use?

Just kidding fiasco . Beutiful job. Glass shower tub. Whirlpool. His and Her shower heads. Hey now

Again, your craftsmanship shines brightly on this job.

Anxious to see what you do with the cabs. What do you have in mind? Following an example or winging it?

Regards,
                    Greg
                    Last edited by Stormbringer; 11-16-2006, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• fiasco
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006

It's funny 7 or so years ago my motherinlaw gave me a jigsaw for christmas. It was my first powertool outside of a screwgun. I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with a jigsaw....

Then it started with a tile floor and just went on from there. I almost have my house completely pimped out.

Heres some of my house projects.

Comment

• fiasco
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006

Kitchen - I put down the tile floor and overpaid for cabinets. I was still new to the game and the cabinets were expensive so the wife didn't want me installing them so I paid for installation. I watched the two guys install the cabinets and I felt like an idiot.

I see the folly of my ways and now realize I could have bought all my tools (that I just got to do my bathroom cabinets) and wood and saved about $5000 off the price of those cabinets and install easily

After the cabinets were in I reframed the window. It was actually 1 1/4" off level. I never noticed it before because my old cabinets were a little lower and the backsplash tile was fudged to cover it up. As soon as that new counter top went in it was obvious. I had to pull my ceder siding off the outside of the house, pull the window, reshim it, put the siding back on and I cased the inside of the window in oak instead of drywall.

I also installed under cabinet lighting and the backsplash after the cabinets went in.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• fiasco
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2006

Then I installed hardwood in the rest of the house, ripped off the crappy tile face on my fireplace and put a brick hearth in it's place and replaced the hideous builder quality steel front door.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• fiasco
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2006

The staircase downstairs was carpeted and enclosed in drywall with a 90 turn through a open doorway into a hallway at the bottom. I ripped out the walls surrounding the staircase and replaced it with oak.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• fiasco
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2006

and of course landscaping. I had a cracked slab at the top of my steps so I busted it out and repoured it 3 inches lower then the top step and used pavers on top.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by fiasco; 11-17-2006, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...