Clear All
  • iibgdi
    Handtools only
    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by big tim
    I built this bench and the benchlift about 5,1/2 years ago, shortly after
    I bought my BT3000.
    The bench is an adaptation of a bench in “Making Workbenches”, a
    book by Sam Allen. The lift is my own idea.
    The legs are fir, the stretchers spruce and the top is made of 3 layers
    of ¾” MDF with a sacrificial layer of ¼” masonite(hardboard) with
    a “skirt” around it from ¾” oak. The whole bench can be disassembled,
    The stretchers and legs are held together with long threaded rods,
    nuts and washers. The top is held onto the upper stretchers with
    clips.
    The pull-out shelf is to hold tools, I use frequently, etc., it tends to
    become a bit of a catch-all though, sometimes. Just below the top is
    a ¼” panel that slides out, it stops sawdust etc from falling through
    the benchdog holes onto the tool shelf. I store the handle for the jack
    there. The bottom shelf lifts out, it’s where I put scraps, cut-offs, etc.
    The benchdog holes are ¾” and the benchdogs are ¾” dowels with a
    short piece of hose around the top to keep them from falling through
    the holes
    The end vise is a twinscrew vise from Lee Valley. The vise at the front
    is a quick release vise. The standard vise lying on top of the bench is
    mounted on a ¾” piece of plywood bolted through a piece of 2x4 and it
    can be clamped in the wood vise so I don’t damage the wood vise if I
    want to work on metal stuff.
    Because my shop is small, I need to be able to move the bench
    sometimes. It’s a heavy brute. I estimate it to weigh about 300lbs.
    So it needed something substantial and what you see in the pictures
    and the drawings, is what I came up with.
    A small car jack for ten bucks, picked up at the scrap yard, 4 heavy
    duty swivel casters and 6 butt hinges, nuts and bolts of course.
    The rest is basically scrap lumber I already had.
    I have not given any dimensions in the drawings, not to be secretive
    about it, but anyone who would like to copy it, would have to adapt
    it to their own bench dimension anyway.
    How did you attach the hardboard to the MDF? Did you just glue it or did you screw it as well? in the pic, it doesn't look like it is screwed.

I am building a similar bench and would prefer the cleaner look of just gluing it but am concerned about it not staying down consistently.

I guess the negative of gluing it would be that I couldn't just unscrew the hard board and replace it when it gets beaten up.

Comment

• big tim
      • Mar 2006
      • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
      • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by iibgdi
      How did you attach the hardboard to the MDF? Did you just glue it or did you screw it as well? in the pic, it doesn't look like it is screwed.

I am building a similar bench and would prefer the cleaner look of just gluing it but am concerned about it not staying down consistently.

I guess the negative of gluing it would be that I couldn't just unscrew the hard board and replace it when it gets beaten up.
      My goodness, that goes back a few years, but to answer your question, I did glue it in place originally rather well and when I needed to replace it(a few years ago), it did require quite a bit of work to remove the old piece. So this time I just put some squirrels of glue here and there and then use a roller to press it in place and it has not moved since, no need to screw it down. Also I recommend that you avoid getting glue between the edge of the hardboard and the wood frame around the bench top. Because if you need to replace the hardboard, removing it, might brake away some slivers of wood from the edging.
      Good luck with your bench fabrication. Mine has served me very well and still is.
      Cheers,

Tim
      Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• iibgdi
        Handtools only
        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by big tim
        My goodness, that goes back a few years, but to answer your question, I did glue it in place originally rather well and when I needed to replace it(a few years ago), it did require quite a bit of work to remove the old piece. So this time I just put some squirrels of glue here and there and then use a roller to press it in place and it has not moved since, no need to screw it down. Also I recommend that you avoid getting glue between the edge of the hardboard and the wood frame around the bench top. Because if you need to replace the hardboard, removing it, might brake away some slivers of wood from the edging.
        Good luck with your bench fabrication. Mine has served me very well and still is.
        Cheers,

Tim
        Thanks for the help! I found your thread with a google search for building wood working benches. You did a great job. I'm a rookie in the woodworking area. In fact, I just bought my first router, table saw and ban saw as well as lots of the basic tools like clamps etc.

Kids are off to college and I am needing to fill the time! So I have been doing a full remodel on the interior of my garage. Just cleaned everything off of the walls and did epoxy floors and walls. Going to build the work bench and then start on cabinets. Should keep me busy.

Thanks again

Comment

• Carpenter96
          Established Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Barrie ON Canada
          • BT 3000

I built the same basic bench 14 years ago and have had to move it a few times. As Tim said it is very heavy and I wish that I had thought of a bench lift. I made a drawer unit for the bottom that holds most of my smaller and most used hand tools. The bench is very sturdy and will not jump around when hand planing, drilling etc. Thanks Tim for the info on the bench lift.

Bob

Comment

• big tim
            • Mar 2006
            • SawStop PCS

You're both quite welcome'
            Cheers,

Tim,

PS. Iibgdi, unless your cabinets have to be fancy, you might like to get a hold of a book by Tom Clark called: "Practical Shop Cabinets". I used that to build a 12 drawer cabinet about 7 years ago. See http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=37396

Comment

• iibgdi
              Handtools only
              • Oct 2013

Right now, my plan is to make my bench mobile.

I am going to possibly try upside down french cleats (so they are removable) attached to these.

Comment

• TNWoodchuck
                Handtools only
                • Apr 2013
                • Near Nashville, TN
                • BT3000

Great idea!

I built this same bench over 13 years ago and have really liked it. Is it too late to steal your innovations? I especially like the mobility mechanism. Nearly everything else in my shop is on wheels and now your brilliantly simple idea will allow me to make the bench more easily moveable. I also like the dust tray, as I am always dropping small parts through the dog holes when I'm too lazy to cover them.

Thanks for the ideas and the great documentation.

Chuck, near Nashville

Comment

• big tim
                  • Mar 2006
                  • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by TNWoodchuck
                  I built this same bench over 13 years ago and have really liked it. Is it too late to steal your innovations? I especially like the mobility mechanism. Nearly everything else in my shop is on wheels and now your brilliantly simple idea will allow me to make the bench more easily moveable. I also like the dust tray, as I am always dropping small parts through the dog holes when I'm too lazy to cover them.

Thanks for the ideas and the great documentation.

Chuck, near Nashville
                  Never too late, if you have the room go ahead and do it.
                  And you're welcome, glad it might be of use to you.

Tim

Comment

Working...