X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Finally completed!

At last, I've finished the kitchen I've been making in five phases. The last phase was the base cabinets and a four-drawer unit. The base cabinets were 1000mm wide by 570mm deep and went into the corners. The left-hand unit has a tray space (including a telescopic towel rail) attached to it. The drawer unit was 600mm wide, as was the sink base unit (water-resistant MDF for that, the drawer fronts and the kick-plates).

The sink was a really heavy ceramic model. I ignored the supplied template, as the underside was not perfectly parallel (poured castings sometimes aren't), so I dead-measured and then nibbled away until it slid into the inset. I'm happier with a smaller gap around the sink underside. The template would have meant that it would have dropped straight in, but there'd be a bit of slop. As the sink is supported by its own weight (no clips), the least slop the better, otherwise there's strain on both the supply plumbing and the waste pipework.

The drawer unit uses Accuride(TM) stainless steel 35Kg full extension self-closing, two-part runners - fabulous hardware! The drawer boxes were Isoloc jointed, fronts screwed on from the inside and the handle screwed right through, so the pull is on the drawer box, not the front.

The corner units are fitted with one shelf at half height, with a recess removed the width of the opening and 100mm deep. This makes reaching into the far corners easier without losing too much shelf space. The sink base unit has a full size shelf which rides on adjustable pins and skims the bottom of the waste trap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dkp501.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	789349

Name:	dkp502.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	789350

Name:	dkp503.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	789351

The client did all the finishing herself (cracking job, too!) and is delighted with the result as every inch of available space is utilised.

Thanks for looking!

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

It looks great, Ray! I particularly like the way you squeezed those drawers in there. Just the right offset so they open, but still as much drawer as you could get in that space.

Well done.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

As usual a super job Ray. Now I have to ask....is that a diswasher under the left part of the sink or a clothes washer? Pardon my ignorance but the only machines I've seen over here that look like that are clothes washers. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Talk about compact! Nice work!

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

Originally posted by Popeye
          As usual a super job Ray. Now I have to ask....is that a diswasher under the left part of the sink or a clothes washer? Pardon my ignorance but the only machines I've seen over here that look like that are clothes washers. Pat
          I was going to make a wisecrack about that funny looking dishwasher...

I think it's common in Europe to put clothes washers in the kitchen....am I right, Ray? I'm curious, I've seen a combination washer/dryer unit advertised...is that one of them, or do the clothes get dried "manually?"

By the way, nice job on the whole thing, Ray! Very ambitious project and executed to perfection!
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

Congratulations Ray, I know you've been working away on that project for quite a while. It looks great. Now you have to decide what to do next.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

Very nice work Ray. I can see why your client was delighted.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Ray

Great looking job. I like the patterned panels in the doors. BTW, she's gonna love those drawer slides. What kind of wood did you use for the doors and drawer fronts and what material for the countertop?

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
                  John Hunter

Comment

• Wood_workur
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Ohio
                    • Ryobi bt3100-1

nice, but what is a "mm"?
                    Alex

Comment

• RayintheUK
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Popeye
                      ....is that a diswasher under the left part of the sink or a clothes washer?
                      Yes, it's a clothes washing machine, Pat - utility rooms in small houses are rare.

Originally posted by mschrank
                      I think it's common in Europe to put clothes washers in the kitchen....am I right, Ray? I'm curious, I've seen a combination washer/dryer unit advertised...is that one of them, or do the clothes get dried "manually?"
                      Traditionally, kitchens always contained the "copper," or boiler for heating the washing water. As machines came along, they were installed in the kitchens also. Built-ins (with matching false doors) make for a less obtrusive appearance, but you lose appliance volume and plinth heights can be a problem - especially the case with refrigerators and upright freezers.

It's not a washer/drier - they can be a real pain in the nether regions, but that's another story. Client has a tumble drier in the single car garage.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      I like the patterned panels in the doors. BTW, she's gonna love those drawer slides. What kind of wood did you use for the doors and drawer fronts and what material for the countertop?
                      The panels were made from 6mm MDF, with shallow grooves milled with a small coving bit in a table. Generally, 45mm on center, but with custom-width doors a little tweaking can make the pattern look better and the overall proportions more pleasing.

Right from the onset, my advice was never to skimp on kitchen hardware. We've used best-quality Hafele hardware throughout, all European hinges are sprung clip-ons, so the doors can be removed in an instant. Might not sound like a big deal, but for decorating and spring-cleaning, it's a real bonus. Given this policy, the Accurides were a no-brainer!

The entire project was made from MDF, because that was the client's wish (painted finish, stability, etc.). Carcasses are all 18mm, as are the door rails and stiles. Construction was via the usual R & S coping router bit set, with the panels rebated on the inside to fit the channels. The panels in the upper cabinet double-action cantilever doors were beefed up as a precaution. Medite (water-resistant MDF) was used for the drawer fronts, the sink base unit and the kick-plates (plinths) as stated above. Aside from often going to drawers with wet hands, the real reason for using Medite for the drawer fronts was that it takes a real crisp profile. The drawer boxes were constructed using Isoloc(TM) joinery and had 12mm ply bottoms.

The worktops (countertops) are 600mm post-formed (rolled leading edge) laminated chipboard. Looks like wood, but ain't! I've fitted real wood beech tops and these copies are MUCH easier - simple mason's miter joint, three butterfly bolts, a couple of biscuits and job done. Letting the sink in, however, needs more care, because it leaves just two narrow connecting strips along the front and back. Thus, if you need to move the top after cutting, you're in danger of breaking it at the weakened section, so planning is key.

Hope those answers helped and thanks for the kind comments!

Ray.
                      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Ray

You could have built another kitchen in the time it took to explain everything. I've got to comment on the hinges. I was building kitchens long before the euro hinges came out and it changed everything. Bye bye face frames. Then when the clip ons came out, they made it simple for on-off doors. I got used to hanging doors when I would do set-ups in the shop. Would do the adjustment, and that's it. Every time there after, no real need to adjust, maybe slightly. Then when installing, the same procedure, doors came off to install, shelves go in, clean insides, and clip doors back on. Voila!

As far as the drawer slides, I always allowed the plus 1/32, and then used shims for final fitting. Works out better that way.

Your kitchen came out great, a lot of details to work out.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• charliex
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                          • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Great job Ray. Looks like you invested a lot thought and concentrated effort, (hard work) and it shows in the finished product.

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Fantastic job, Ray!
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• bigsteel15
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • Edmonton, AB
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Wood_workur
                              nice, but what is a "mm"?
                              As a member of the commonwealth of metric, I can answer that.
                              1 mm = 1/10 cm = 1/1000 m = 1/1,000,000 km or 1/25.4 inches

Sorry, had to.
                              millimeter x 1000 = 1 meter = ~39 inches
                              Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                              Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

Working...