• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

My First Commercial Products

Got out of the Army in 1970, and was unemployed and married. Couldn't find a job, but had a degree in business and was in Special Forces. Tried to get a job with different police agencies (before there was SWAT), they all thought I might have latent aggression. Can you believe that? Anyway didn't want to be a mercenary cause I like living, and living in the US. So, that's my history.

Oh yeah, back to the story. LOML and I went to a weekend arts and crafts show and a guy there was selling handmade lamps. I looked at them and thought, "I can do that". The next day I went to the lumber yard and bought what I thought I needed.

We had a two bedroom apartment and the floor was my workspace. The lamps were made from 1" thick cork, cut in strips, glued together like frames. Then I glued on the inside colored plastic K-Lux panels, and mounted hanging hardware at the top. Took them to the flea market and hung them from a 2x4 on top of two loose bi-fold doors. The first weekend none sold. The second weekend, I got better at the design and quality, and didn't sell any then. As I was packing up a woman asked If I would come to her house the next night and show them to her husband, I said "I can do that".

When I got there she had like 8 neighbors over, and they went wild and about half of them ordered lamps. I took deposits and was so excited, that when I left the house, I forgot to put my samples in the trunk, and backed up over them.

Fortunately I scored that night with deposits, because LOML was ragging on me to quit making a mess in the apartment. So, the real story about cabinetwork evolved when I would be in houses installing the lamps, they would ask "Can you build a cabinet for over there?" My answer was "I can do that".

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
    Attached Files
  • tlt
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Tucson, Arizona.
    • Delta 36-682

That's a great story cabinetman -- after seeing the amazing work you do it is neat to trace back to how you got started. I especially appreciate the part about being excited and backing up over the lamps, as that sounds like something I'd do

Comment

• Stormbringer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Floral Park, NY
      • Bosch 4000

Hmmm. I'll take the 2X4 and the two bifold doors please .

I'm diggin those groovy lamps man.

Thanks for sharing the memories.

Regards,
      Greg

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

First, thank you for your service.

Second, OMG: Sucking in the 70's MAN!!! Love the photos. It reminds me of my dad's apartment, the way it looks now I mean. He's still stuck in the 70's. No lava lamp tho?

Backing over your samples: priceless

Bill
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

You've come a long way from that humble beginning to the cabinets you've been posting of late.
          The pictures were a real blast-from-the-past!
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

that is a cool story.
            Alex

Comment

• charliex
              • Mar 2004
              • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
              • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Grovvy man. Dig it. Like cool. Like wow. Neat story too.

Comment

• mackmack
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006

I was in the marines/infantry for 4 years(camp lejeune,NC) and got out a few years ago. I am trying to make wooden fountains now with stained glass inlays, the pumps have a submersible bulb so it's like a fountain/lamp. I know nothing about woodworking and I got a bt3100 a month ago at home depot, a craftsman router and table, and a craftsman miter saw. I got kickbacked a few times already with the bt3100 but I'm still alive and I won't give up.

I will try to post a pic for you guys when I finally get one done... I feel like our stories are pretty similar in a lot of ways so far.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Understanding the conditions causing the kickback will help to prevent it from happening. Life stories are very interesting. Your WW one will certainly be.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

Working...